WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: 11 Facts About The World's Changing Appetite For Luxury Watches

"Luxury watches are not just functional wristwear--they're works of art with hundreds of years of technology packed inside.Consumers' tastes and shopping preferences for watches are evolving around the globe.
Market research company Digital Luxury Group has just released its annual report on the worldwide market for high-end watches, looking at 15 of the world's biggest haute timepiece brands ahead of Baselworld, the upcoming international watch and jewelry show in Switzerland.
The report is based on more than a billion consumer searches for luxury watches on search engines including Google, Bing and Baidu."

More Highlights of the story:

The USA fell behind China as the country with the largest percentage of searches for high end luxury watches, holding 24.98% compared to the US's 21.23%.

Most search for High End brand? IWC with over 23% share.

·
Super Moderator
15,651 Posts
I was expecting just another rehash of a "high-end watches rediscovered" article. That global graphic is interesting.

A couple spots aren't ranked as high as i would have expected!

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
I wonder if they could rank vintage watch searches? I bet NJ/NY would be a hotspot based on just a few of us and our insatiable appetites. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Very interesting, thank you, certainly contained some surprises. I verified my suspicion that I have no taste, only one of the uber expensive watches spoke to me.
Didn't realize how --pedestrian-- Rolex is.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Ohmagoo said:
and here I thought the $1400.00 I spent on my Tag was a lot of cash. That's not even in the same universe...
It is a lot of cash. It's just not $300,000 cash lol. But for $1400.00 you can get a beautiful watch, like a Tag. What's SO much better about super-duper high end brands?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Not suprised about China. Every highend shop I went into in Switzerland last summer was packed full of Chinese with wads of U.S. folding money, paying in cash no less!

·
Registered
64 Posts
It is a lot of cash. It's just not $300,000 cash lol. But for $1400.00 you can get a beautiful watch, like a Tag. What's SO much better about super-duper high end brands?
I see the beauty in the artistry. The JLC was singing to me. Also, the Jean Daniel Nicholas written up elsewhere in this forum, sang wonderfully. The detail and intricacy I find amazing...and the style of the tourbillon design I find stunning.

Alas, they will always be out of my snack bracket.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Ohmagoo said:
I see the beauty in the artistry. The JLC was singing to me. Also, the Jean Daniel Nicholas written up elsewhere in this forum, sang wonderfully. The detail and intricacy I find amazing...and the style of the tourbillon design I find stunning.

Alas, they will always be out of my snack bracket.
I can see that Its nicer but is it 300k better? To me that's just disgusting

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Not suprised about China. Every highend shop I went into in Switzerland last summer was packed full of Chinese with wads of U.S. folding money, paying in cash no less!
Keep in mind something like only the top 3% of the Chinese population has disposable income, but 3% of umpteen billion is still more than the entire US population.

What surprised me is how much more the US had over what I thought to be the more watch-centric Europeans.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The most important part of your statement is now in bold type. Somebody else might think a quartz homage is disgusting. It's all relative.
In that league, it is art. Much like a Picasso, Monet, Chagale, a superior fine wine or champagne. To indulge would be a wonderful experience. But reality...I'll stand back and appreciate the beauty. The artistry, the talent.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Why was Rolex not included. Seems odd.
If you look at the list, all are true high-end houses, not "mere" luxury. I would have been surprised had Rolex been included.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
IWC has lost nearly all their appeal to me.

Back in the days of the MkXV and MkXVI pilot's watches, I thought they were really something.

For better or worse, by the time I got into buying high end watches, Rolex had caught my eye.

Now, IWC has gone all trendy on us and most just leave me flat.

It's rather sad, but I guess if they can sell a billion watches in China, all will be well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts