WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, was reading about ink marks inside the caseback on vintage spaceviews. Does anyone know if all spaceviews starting from the Alpha had them or was only later version of the spaceview?

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, was reading about ink marks inside the caseback on vintage spaceviews. Does anyone know if all spaceviews starting from the Alpha had them or was only later version of the spaceview?

Thanks
Not specific to Spaceviews but most Accutron cases had the case number on the inside back, either die struck/stamped (SWISS) or printed with ink (USA). After 50 years some of the ink printed ones are now gone from cleaning fluids etc.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not specific to Spaceviews but most Accutron cases had the case number on the inside back, either die struck/stamped (SWISS) or printed with ink (USA). After 50 years some of the ink printed ones are now gone from cleaning fluids etc.
Thanks, I ask because someone told me those marks were only from 1964 onwards, is that correct or the 60 to 63 spaceviews would have originally come with the marks too?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I have some 1960 and 1961 Accutrons that have the ink marked case numbers and, of course, some that don't. None of them are original Spaceviews but I don't think that is relevant.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
214 Swiss inked.JPG M1 swiss 320.jpg

Rules are for guidance and we continue to find exceptions when it comes to Accutrons. I have an M1 Swiss with a stamped case number and an M7 Swiss with an inked case number.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have two of the exact same case number, one is ink and one is stamped ..go figure

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Accuone, skypilot, accutron, so I should be looking for marks in earlier ones too. SAM2, thanks for those inner caseback pics.

A question, does having these ink marks or stamped marks on the inner caseback help authenticate if a spaceview was a conversion or not? How do they assist in ascertaining originality? Did all Accutrons have these marks or only spacveviews?

·
Registered
347 Posts
All Accutrons were marked just not spaceviews. But remember its a whole lot better to have that number be right just for piece of mind

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All Accutrons were marked just not spaceviews. But remember its a whole lot better to have that number be right just for piece of mind
Thanks, so the number represents a particular version? For example if is a M1 Alpha, the number series will be unique for those?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks, so the number represents a particular version? For example if is a M1 Alpha, the number series will be unique for those?

Each style case had a number assigned to it. From that number you could cross reference in the case parts catalog or the ABC interchange catalog to find out which movement, crown, gasket, crystal, stem, etc that particular case took.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Each style case had a number assigned to it. From that number you could cross reference in the case parts catalog or the ABC interchange catalog to find out which movement, crown, gasket, crystal, stem, etc that particular case took.
Cool, thanks, looks like an important attribute in further ascertaining originality. Also the sellers I ask say those marks have been washed away over time by polishing/restoration. If the case was polished, that would only be done to the ouer caseback right? Why would they polish the inside of the caseback?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
If the case was polished, that would only be done to the ouer caseback right? Why would they polish the inside of the caseback?
I believe many watchmakers place case parts into machines using cleaning fluids that remove the ink marks. Polishing would be done to the outside.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe many watchmakers place case parts into machines using cleaning fluids that remove the ink marks. Polishing would be done to the outside.
Thanks, so if is a stamped number then it should still be there right? And going by existing examples here looks like there's a 50-50 chance of stamped v/s ink marks?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks, so if is a stamped number then it should still be there right? And going by existing examples here looks like there's a 50-50 chance of stamped v/s ink marks?

Your guess is as good as mine. No one knows why Bulova did what they did. Even those who worked there

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
A question, does having these ink marks or stamped marks on the inner caseback help authenticate if a spaceview was a conversion or not?
Micah Mabelitini spent a considerable amount of time researching this very subject. His list may or may not include all of the "factory" Spaceview case numbers. It is just one tool that we can use to authenticate a Spaceview watch.
How should we use Micah's list? Take my Swiss Spaceview as an example. It has case #317 and it is not on the list of known Spaceview numbers. My next step was to check the Accutron Crystal Catalog to see what crystal or crystals were made by Bulova to fit that case. I found that Bulova made only one. The original crystal was 30.0mm and Bulova made no 30.0mm Spaceview crystals. My only conclusion is that my watch has an after market crystal and can not possibly be a factory Spaceview or an old dealer conversion. Further research turned up no Spaceview crystals in that size available from Clark or any current sources. That leads me to believe that my Spaceview was an unauthorized conversion but one that was done some time in the distant past.
Now, assume that you have a Spaceview with case #2319. That number matches one on the list and it has a crystal with white (light green) markers as indicated in the crystal catalog. Are these factors alone proof positive of authenticity or just a start in the authentication process?
Keep in mind that some case numbers show up with many different dials and hands in various combinations and subject to parts availability, they can easily be converted.

The Accutron Revolution - Accuracy Through Electronics 1960-1977
http://www.mybulova.com/sites/default/files/file/Bulova-ABC-Accutron-Crystal-Catalog.pdf

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts