WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post, hope someone can help.

I was given a couple of watches that used to belong to my grandfather, who passed away a number of years ago. They appear to be Omega watches purchased in Hong Kong, circa 1951 or 61 (the sales receipt is obscured on the year). I can't see any serial number or maker's marks on the cases, but I have a "Rating Certificate" for "Wrist Chronometer No. 11643633 Calibre 30.10 kg" that was in the same box.

One watch appears to be almost mint - original leather band, no scratches. The other is just the watch with the buckle from the band, plus what looks to be an inexpensive after-market leather band. I was wondering if someone could provide insight into the watches, the history and possible value (if any). I've attached some images:

IMG_4206s_resize.jpg IMG_4209s_resize.jpg IMG_4211s_resize.jpg IMG_4212s_resize.jpg IMG_4214s_resize.jpg

Thanks!

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
You have a couple very collectable watches. The all white dial with CHRONOMETER on it is pretty desirable. It was made in 1949. I don't know what it would sell for, but it's surely not chump change. The second, the Seamaster, is no slouch either but not as interesting as the first. Both appear to be in excellent shape. Nice heirlooms. :thumbup1:

For more info, you can click on my user name and e-mail me. With a little more information I can help you even more.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Hi, this is my first post, hope someone can help.

I was given a couple of watches that used to belong to my grandfather, who passed away a number of years ago. They appear to be Omega watches purchased in Hong Kong, circa 1951 or 61 (the sales receipt is obscured on the year). I can't see any serial number or maker's marks on the cases, but I have a "Rating Certificate" for "Wrist Chronometer No. 11643633 Calibre 30.10 kg" that was in the same box.

One watch appears to be almost mint - original leather band, no scratches. The other is just the watch with the buckle from the band, plus what looks to be an inexpensive after-market leather band. I was wondering if someone could provide insight into the watches, the history and possible value (if any). I've attached some images:

View attachment 30296 View attachment 30297 View attachment 30298 View attachment 30299 View attachment 30300

Thanks!
Hi, welcome to Watch Talk!

Those both look to be beautiful pieces. I'll go so far as to say that for vintage they are both in excellent condition. I'm also pretty sure that the second watch (Seamaster) is solid gold. The only way to be sure is to check for hallmarks on the case near the lugs or inside the caseback. As for the specifics of the watches and their movements, I am a bit out of my element with regards to anything before the mid '60s, so hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along to lend some insight. Both watches are excellent examples, your late grandfather had great taste.:cool1:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Really great watches, both are great watches but I think that Chronometre will interest collectors more. I'm guessing the first one has a 333 (ref 2517?) and the other one will either have a Cal. 351/354 in it. Man I love that first one! :001_tt1:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts