WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have inherited this Benrus from my grandfather, and was wondering 1) The Age 2) Is it Worth Paying For a Stem and Crown-I know the watch works but I do not have the correct crown and believe the stem is broken-Replacement 3) How Rare the CE-4 Model is, as I only found 2 references on eBay and Picclick. It is a 15 Jewel Movement and has a 10k Gold Filled Spiedel Band. Also, is the brown coloration on the Dial original or is it corrosion? Thank you all!

Watch Analog watch Clock Tool Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Clock Hood Watch accessory
Automotive lighting Grille Tin Rim Headlamp
Watch Analog watch Clock Telephony Watch accessory

·
Administrator
6,886 Posts
Looks like a 50's Benrus. Unfortunately there were no records kept from Benrus once they sold out to foreign interests back in the 70's. If you look at the masthead photo on this page you'll see a very similar Benrus. C&O with a new stem/crown might set you back $100. Dial is deteriorating and you could have it refinished (probably another $75) or simply watch for a similar Benrus non-working watch or replacement dial on eBay. 9 times out of 10, 'rare' is a useless word with vintage watches. You wont get rich selling it, hopefully it has some keepsake value because it would be a nice watch once fixed up.

·
Premium Member
5,665 Posts
Welcome to WTF.

I don't have alot of answers other then to say the discoloration on the dial is age related. I wouldn't look like that if you restored it. You ask is it worth paying for a little 'fix' up. Alot of people ask that and to be honest, there is only one person that really knows if its worth restoring. That's you. None of us can tell you because its a family heirloom. Here is one similar for sale.

1950 BENRUS Vintage Midsize*Watch, Day Date Calendar, 10K Gold Filled & Steel | eBay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,
Thank you guys for replying. I did not mean is it worth fixing or if its a rarer kind of watch as a selling standpoint (as I don't think benrus watches are worth that much, but I am not too familiar with the brand) but more as of to wear the watch or just to have something in the back of my drawer. What is it that is causing the brown coloration on the dial? Is it anything that will ruin the dial further if its not attended to? It actually almost seems like the brown is wearing off rather then it being added on due to discoloration.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's laquer that's oxidizing and will continue to darken. Often described as patina, it can be prized by collectors if even and adds to the aesthetic quality of the dial. It's very subjective. In a high $$ watch I'd say leave it untouched . In this one I'd say, have it refinished if you like it and want to wear it.

Nice watch BTW

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra

·
Super Moderator
16,452 Posts
In this one I'd say, have it refinished if you like it and want to wear it.
I'm in total agreement with morningtundra on this. If you want to wear it, it should look the way you want it to, and hang what anybody else thinks!.
Leaving the dial untouched is important if you plan on selling a watch at a later date, as collectors want their pieces as original as possible, including any signs of age (in this case, the ''patina'').

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Thanks for showing it off...
First of all welcome to the forum and as you can see from the masthead photo, there are a lot of Benrus fans here.

Like it has been said, Benrus lost many of the original documents from the factory and much of what we have left to go by are the ads
in magazines and newspapers from back in the day.
This is first of all a Family Heirloom and there is nothing better than that!

Most folks would say to have a COA (clean oil and adjustment) to it so you can wear it, and yes tell the time.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and how much you do to it cosmetically is your call.

Personally, I LOVE that patina on the dial and it is just as your grandfather had it last.
In my brand originality always trumps a redial, especially as an heirloom.

This is your watch now and is in your care... bring it back to life and enjoy it for the next generation.
This will last a lifetime if you fix it up and care for it... make your Grandfather proud!

I have several watches from great grandfather, grandfather and father... they are my FAVORITES!

A little hint for this one. The Spidel band on it has a few disadvantages. One, it is not original to the watch and these are quite
a difficult band to wear, especially if you have hairy arms... folks call these "Hair Pullers" and they can hurt.

Also, the metal bands like this can ruin the lugs by digging metal into metal.
Check out some nice leather/skin straps, that would do less damage over the long haul to the watch.
Your call, but just a thought.

G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.