WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad visits from England each year and often brings gifts for me, not your usual gifts, often he'll give antiques, heirlooms or oddities, he even brought me a rare whiskey once which I went on to sell to Michael Flatley of Riverdance fame - but that's another story..

This time he brought me some original Metropolitan Police handcuffs in their pouch and this Rolex which I believe is an Arrowhead Oyster Precision but I confess to not knowing much about Rolex watches so here I am. He bought it many years ago and paid 500 pounds, good investment or total sham? You decide:

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Looks to me like a honest Oyster Precision model..

from the 7206 riveted bracelet and case to dial.. powered by an 1210 caliber no doubt. The dial and hands are correct for the year...around 1963 from the looks of the stamping on the bracelet with a 19 mm lug size.

A nice daily wearer, Arthur

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Value

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for your comment. I have no reason to believe it is a fake but I felt it prudent to investigate further. My father did purchase it from a legitimate jeweler at the time but did not have the paperwork here to give to me (although he assures me he has it somewhere).

There is a watch service and repair shop that also appraises watches here and I will take it there to get it looked at and perhaps get it certified. It could likely use a service too but my father tells me that can be costly.

Assuming it is real and given that it does have some minor scratches on the crystal and links, would you care to offer up a potential value, $USD or otherwise?

Toying with the idea of selling it.

Thanks for any further help.
Appreciated,

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Scott to be honest the retail is around $1,100 or less in today's market.

Scott, you have to answer "the question" investment watch or daily wearer?
If you really have to dispense this watch for financial reasons, then the service cost is not justified. "sell as is".

To determine an average price range of similar watches as the one in question. Research on line auctions (ebay) and other retail sources, which will aid you on a realistic selling price for your watch. I have ascertained this price by what dealers are selling and the down turn of the economy have placed these Oyster Precision models under $1,100 more often then not.

Now if you want to wear the watch in question for nostalgic notions, I would get a full service and keep it.

I hope this helps, Arthur

·
Banned
3,656 Posts
Sorry Arthur I was a bit high, but with original beacelet I set $1500 +/- 15%

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
$1500 in the USA for this watch...I hope he can get that much...

The bracelet is for a 19 mm case...So not as desirable as of course as the 7205
20 mm version.

The Rolex vintage dress watch market in my opinion is even softer then the sport models due to the economy. One can find Datejust 1601 heads for $1100 in today's market. I can contest this price range in the USA, but not sure overseas. Perhaps your price of $1500 is correct for Europe. :biggrin:

Arthur

·
Banned
3,656 Posts
The bracelet is for a 19 mm case...So not as desirable as of course as the 7205
20 mm version.

The Rolex vintage dress watch market in my opinion is even softer then the sport models due to the economy. One can find Datejust 1601 heads for $1100 in today's market. I can contest this price range in the USA, but not sure overseas. Perhaps your price of $1500 is correct for Europe. :biggrin:

Arthur
Understand
I accept your greater knowledge

I AM a vintage man. LOLK

Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciated

I appreciate everyone taking the time to post on this.

I have toyed with the idea of keeping the watch but then again it would also be handy to have $1000 or more to kick into another project and I'm not much for possessions these days anyways.

I have seen this model on Ebay and it looks like bidding is close to $1100 for it. I don't see any supporting documentation with that watch but it is being sold by a Power Seller so I am assuming that comes with a certain comfort level that most buyers are happy with, where does that leave a lowly seller like me? Where would I likely sell this piece for the best price?

Again, many thanks for letting me pop into the forum, as always I am pleasantly surprised by everyone's help.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hmmmm.....Sell a watch that one belonged to your dad???????:blink: Unless you're about to get your house forclosed on or need to buy a new kidney I'd keep it. You will regret selling it someday, I guarantee it. Get it serviced and wear it!!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
38 Posts
yep i agree with 'em it'll be of use someday im sure, and besides keeping something sentimental ain't bad at all mate :001_smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts