WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across the Ingersoll Men's Automatic Stetson, model # IN6901WH, and I really like the style of it. I've wanted a watch with a power reserve and retrograde dials for awhile now, and it happens to have both. I refuse to buy Chinese made watches however, and if the movement in this watch is Chinese, that's a deal breaker. Does anybody know any details on the 'caliber 645' movement in this watch?

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
I'd bet it's a Chinese clone of an ETA movement. Not enough information (i.e. links and pictures, hint hint) for me to make a better comment, and I'm certainly not going to Google for it myself to do somebody else's homework. If you want us to answer, make it easy for us to want to answer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a picture showing the movement
http://www.williwunder.de/engl/images/ingersoll6901slhinten.jpg
Here is another which looks like a different movement, with blue jewels.
http://www.tolle-uhren.de/images/produkte/i10/1006-back-ingersoll-stetson-in-6901-s.jpg
The reason I suspect it's a Chinese movement is because it wasn't listed as anything but a 'caliber 645' anywhere I looked. Ingersoll is owned by a Chinese company, and if they were putting a nice Swiss movement in their watch I suspect they'd advertise it. All it says on the face is 'German Design'. It's disappointing because I really like the watch but I will not budge on my refusal to buy Chinese watches.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
It's a clone of the ETA 2892-A2.

Here is another which looks like a different movement, with blue jewels.
http://www.tolle-uhren.de/images/produkte/i10/1006-back-ingersoll-stetson-in-6901-s.jpg
They're blued screws.

The reason I suspect it's a Chinese movement is because it wasn't listed as anything but a 'caliber 645' anywhere I looked.
Many companies do this. Breitling calls the Valjoux 7750 their B13. Omega calls the ETA 2892-A2 their 1109, then later the 1120 after a couple upgrades to the winding bridges. However, see the next reply.

Ingersoll is owned by a Chinese company, and if they were putting a nice Swiss movement in their watch I suspect they'd advertise it.
Correct - they'd brag boldly in any advertising. You're suspicions are correct about it being Chinese IMO.

All it says on the face is 'German Design'.
So Helmut and his buddy Adolf drew it up, but that doesn't mean they didn't contract Li Ying to make the parts. :sneaky2:

It's disappointing because I really like the watch but I will not budge on my refusal to buy Chinese watches.
You just gained some respect in my eyes. :thumbup: Give me a Japanese Seiko, not a copy-cat Chinese clone caliber.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
...but I will not budge on my refusal to buy Chinese watches.
Well keep in mind just because the movement may be 'Swiss', the rest of the watch could very well be Chinese. And in fact many Swiss brands use Chinese made parts to make up their "Swiss" movement.

IIRC, only 50% of the watch value has to be Swiss made to be called Swiss. So you could buy a "Swiss" watch, and still have quite a few Chinese parts. You could even have all the movement components made is China and still call it Swiss if the labor / expense to put it together and other material costs are Swiss. Take a bunch of Chinese-made components costing $20, pay a Swiss watchmaker $25 to put it together and it's a "Swiss" watch.

Oh, and of course they'll add 45% to their margin for that "Swissness".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good choice! I would also choose Orient any day. Ingersoll today has nothing to do with the legendary brand from the past, whatever the new owners are doing to promote it. Still, much better than the no-name Chinese replica's (read fakes), of course! But could not compare it to Orient - a constantly operating since 60 years full legit manufacture.
Maybe Ingersoll sounds somehow German, the promotion is going in direction of being "German Designed" and I find this fault #1, as the company was founded in USA. If someone is aware of German horology will know, that the styling is much more utilitarian and clean than Ingersolls have. Just look at the models from true German manufacturers like Laco, Sinn, Damasko, Stowa, Junghans, Mühle or Nomos.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.