WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I see an Accutron listed for sale that has had a quartz movement retrofitted, I send a friendly note to the seller trying to inform and educate. Most appreciate the info, thanking me because they want to be totally honest in their listing. Once in a while you get a really ignorant response from a seller who couldn't care less and doesn't want to accept that the potential value of their watch has plummeted. :crying:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Thanks for the info OliverB. Did you recently spot one ? If you see an attractive looking one, please consider bringing it to my attention. I've been thinking that a well done one, like the one you have, might be a good addition to my little collection.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info OliverB. Did you recently spot one ? If you see an attractive looking one, please consider bringing it to my attention. I've been thinking that a well done one, like the one you have, might be a good addition to my little collection.
Skypilot:

There is one in an EGP case with metal band and has both Day/Date. I usually shy away from EGP cases unless they are near perfect. That watch also has the same mvt. as mine with trim screw. This person does not seem to care that his listing does not reflect the conversion, insisting it says "....quartz" on the dial.

Vintage Bulova Swiss Accuquartz with matching metal band in running condition++ | eBay

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Thank you OliverB ! I currently own this Accuquartz so I think I will take a shot at the first one to try to achieve something close to your twins.

I've been confining my buying recently to gold Accutrons so not a lot of buying has been going on and I'm due.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you OliverB ! I currently own this Accuquartz so I think I will take a shot at the first one to try to achieve something close to your twins.

I've been confining my buying recently to gold Accutrons so not a lot of buying has been going on and I'm due.
That would make a perfect set of twins! :thumbup1: As you see from the pics, the crystal is shot and a good bit of scratching on the SS case. I've tried my hand polishing a couple SS cases in the last couple weeks with excellent results. The main polishing agent I use is Mother's Mag/Aluminum polish on a cotton wheel - a 2" wheel on my drill press, slow speed, and a 1" flat cotton disc from my dremel kit. That disc I put on my drill and use it at slow speed for tight spaces. With a new crystal and proper case treatment I think that one will come out pretty good. I think that case looks good with a black band. I came across a NOS Accuquartz band that is on my watch. Check your PM

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I noticed that it is a bit rough but not so much that it won't clean up. I'd probably have to wait quite a while to ever find another one that would be a twin to mine. I haven't tried polishing one yet but I have polished some SS car wheels. A watch case is just so darn small !

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed that it is a bit rough but not so much that it won't clean up. I'd probably have to wait quite a while to ever find another one that would be a twin to mine. I haven't tried polishing one yet but I have polished some SS car wheels. A watch case is just so darn small !
I would give it a go. Since the crystal is already trashed I wouldn't even worry about it. I put a round piece of duct tape over the crystal if it is a keeper. Sam2 told me how to remove the crown/stem on this mvt. and it is very easy. Remove the band, crown/stem and mvt. and start polishing! Pretty easy. I finish up with a hand rub of PlastX polishing agent. PlastX would even be good for your solid gold cases. It leaves a protective coating. Of course, use only microfiber cloths to clean and shine after polishing. You can even wash the case in mild DW detergent to remove any remaining polish residue. There is a case number (3349) shown on that case back and maybe Sam2 will help in identifying the proper replacement crystal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts