WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a gold Patek Philippe watch that I inherited and was wondering if I could get anymore information about it! Thank you in advance for your time. patek.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You inherited a fake.

This is not a real Patek Philippe.

Sorry for the bad news I am sure it has some sentimental value but it is a counterfeit .In addition it is not real gold.
Welp, I do know it's gold. It's stamped 750 and I tested it (I am a jeweler). So it is 18 karat. As for the authenticity of the watch itself and it's movement, I will take a picture with the back off.
Patek 2.jpg

·
Banned
63 Posts
Welp, I do know it's gold. It's stamped 750 and I tested it (I am a jeweler). So it is 18 karat. As for the authenticity of the watch itself and it's movement, I will take a picture with the back off.
View attachment 30671
This is how you spell Patek Philippe. Patek Philippe

:wink:

Im not sure why anyone would have a counterfeit dial put on an authentic Patek movement. But I guess stranger things have happened.

You can contact Patek in Geneva to find out if the movement is authentic by providing them the movement number.

My analysis was based by the dial as Patek Philippe is spelled wrong which is indicating it is counterfeit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha

This is how you spell Patek Philippe. Patek Philippe

:wink:
Ha, yeah the name is not spelled correctly on the dial. Missed that one, does the movement look right? Could the dial have just been done by some hack? What is the best course of action on this watch?

·
Banned
63 Posts
Ha, yeah the name is not spelled correctly on the dial. Missed that one, does the movement look right? Could the dial have just been done by some hack? What is the best course of action on this watch?
I have no idea.
As an inheritance it has sentimental value. I would keep it and enjoy it. Even though it is fake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So...

Thank you for your time and energy TCB, does anyone else know what a good course of action would be? The watch came with a rather heavy 18kt. gold band that I am keeping, but the case is solid 18kt gold, and the movement looks right. It just seems that the dial has been tampered with at one point in time. I know what this not being an original dial greatly depreciates the value of the watch, but any ideas on how to semi-right the wrong doing to this watch? Thank you again.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You could send the dial to PP for a re-do. Very expensive but would be worth it .

Send the whole watch for a full service as well but be prepared for a big bill and a long wait.

There are other people who do good redials but i do not know them.

If this was my watch I would ask PP for a redial

Julian

·
Banned
63 Posts
Thank you for your time and energy TCB, does anyone else know what a good course of action would be? The watch came with a rather heavy 18kt. gold band that I am keeping, but the case is solid 18kt gold, and the movement looks right. It just seems that the dial has been tampered with at one point in time. I know what this not being an original dial greatly depreciates the value of the watch, but any ideas on how to semi-right the wrong doing to this watch? Thank you again.
Excuse me for the sarcasm. Hopefully it all works out for you.

I just wanted to point out the case being counterfeit. Its a shame because it looks like its a great watch.
I would just hate to see this pop up on ebay and someone purchase it for a large some of money.

The Chinese are experts at producing fakes. Id still be interested to know if this movement and case is indeed real and how it wound up with a counterfeit dial.

It only helps everyone who collects and admires these fine timepeices.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Its difficult to be definite with such small pics. Bigger detailed pics would be usef

Certainly possible that the case is not right but I would like to see better pics.You are quite emphatic emphatic about the case being counterfeit but then state there is a chance it may be real. Not sure what you mean?

Dont worry about sarcasm and cynicism I am just as cynical!!

·
Banned
63 Posts
Certainly possible that the case is not right but I would like to see better pics.You are quite emphatic emphatic about the case being counterfeit but then state there is a chance it may be real. Not sure what you mean?

Dont worry about sarcasm and cynicism I am just as cynical!!
Patek Philippe is spelled incorrectly on the dial. I was basing my assumption on that. PHILLIPE lol
Then he posted a picture of the back of the watch and the movement. He also claims he is a jeweler and its real gold.

My honest opinion is the watch is 100% fake. But thats just my opinion.

Maybe it was common place 30+ years ago to take Patek watches that cost more than a car and to have them fitted with a fake dial that
has the manufacturers name spelled wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts