WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have inherited a Bulova Accutron 2181F Watch from my Granddad. Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about it and it doesn’t seem to be working. I have read a couple of the threads on here and have tried putting a new battery in it (#344). When I do so, I can hear the watch humming but it doesn’t seem to work. If anyone can help me out with any information or advice both on the watch itself and any ideas on how to get it working, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Watch Analog watch Gold Clock Amber
Watch Brown Analog watch Amber Clock

· Registered
3,869 Posts
You have pretty watch and unusual one in the fact that the crown is at the 3, the crown is usually at the 4 with a 218 series Accutron. I don't work on them but would guess, based on those symptoms, that the problem is with the index wheel. We have a member here, Blue92, who works on Accutrons or some of the members send their Accutrons to a man in Bulgaria for repair and service. Many of us have had good success with Bob Piker. Tuning fork watches are unique and should not be worked on by someone who doesn't know how to work on them.
Despite what you may have heard, Accutrons are not fragile or dainty. I have one that I've owned for 38 years and it was worn daily for 18 years and endured thousands of 12 gauge recoils along with other indignities and hardships and, with one service, runs accurately to this day.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello, if the watch humming but it doesn’t seem to work its a good news for you, the coils are not dead.
You'r watch will need to be checked up before any further action.
It's possible to be just cleaning and oilin, its possible some of the fingers to be damaged also the Index Finger.
And most of the problems appear from the rusty wheel and jewel.
My advice is not to try doing some work on the watch if your not experianced Accutron Bulova watchmaker.
Regards, monsterbg.

· Registered
85 Posts
skypilot;592861I don't work on them but would guess said:
ome of the members send their Accutrons to a man in Bulgaria for repair and service[/B]. Many of us have had good success with Bob Piker. Tuning fork watches are unique and should not be worked on by someone who doesn't know how to work on them. .
Any pointers on contacting that chap in Bulgaria? Got an F300 that could use some help, thanks!

· Registered
235 Posts
Any pointers on contacting that chap in Bulgaria? Got an F300 that could use some help, thanks!
Check post #7 on Thread: Newest acquisition problem
Actually this info is posted several places around here...

That $150 figure was for much more than a regular "run of the mill"
Accutron... I would think the F300 might be in that range however...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.