WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Its not made by us. Its a blatent copy of our design but only 200 meters.

where are your cases made for these watches? Looks to me someone may be walking out the back door with some of the stuff. This has been a well known problem with manufacturing in countries like China

·
Registered
246 Posts
where are your cases made for these watches? Looks to me someone may be walking out the back door with some of the stuff. This has been a well known problem with manufacturing in countries like China
My thoughts exactly! It would be difficult to cover the costs for programming the CNC, movement, crystal and all plus a retailer bonus on top of that for only 300 bucks on a relatively small production series (in opposite to a Rolex that is copied by the thousands). Unless the design, programm and all would be basicly ready to "use".

Either way: you're being copied Chris!!! The highest form of admiration :001_smile:

Cheers,

Marc

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
We got ahold of one and tore it down. It is not made from our molds as its not identical in dimensions, machining, angles, measurements and material. It is a very close copy based on our original copyrighted design and is made very cheaply. Our 500M case blanks are molded in HK and the machine work and finishing is done here. So its not from our case maker.The company most likely bought one of our watches and replicated it very closely. Its not the first time either! All the good designs eventually get copied. Wether our customers choose the high quality original or cheap copy is up to them. As for the company making these and selling them, our legal department is already on the case.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We got ahold of one and tore it down. It is not made from our molds as its not identical in dimensions, machining, angles, measurements and material. It is a very close copy based on our original copyrighted design and is made very cheaply....As for the company making these and selling them, our legal department is already on the case.
Good luck, I hope this gets resolved.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
We got ahold of one and tore it down. It is not made from our molds as its not identical in dimensions, machining, angles, measurements and material. It is a very close copy based on our original copyrighted design and is made very cheaply. Our 500M case blanks are molded in HK and the machine work and finishing is done here. So its not from our case maker.The company most likely bought one of our watches and replicated it very closely. Its not the first time either! All the good designs eventually get copied. Wether our customers choose the high quality original or cheap copy is up to them. As for the company making these and selling them, our legal department is already on the case.
Chris, I wish you the best of luck, pal.

I worked for Coca-Cola in Atlanta doing product design -- everything from packaging (the artwork on the cans), to the packaging Coca-Cola items ship in, to tabletop items for World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta and Vegas.

Coca-Cola has some of the best, most widely recognized trademarks and logos on planet Earth. We used to joke that the company had a basement full of lawyers sitting around on folding chairs, just waiting for somebody to try to infringe on a Coca-Cola patent, trademark or piece of intellectual property. In fact, Coca-Cola is super aggressive in the pursuit of these scoundrels, but it's to no avail in the far east, especially China, where copyright infringement is just a fact of life. The main problem is that there's no enforcement by the Chinese government. They pay lip service to our diplomatic entreaties and threats, then laugh all the way to the bank, as party leaders are routinely paid off and simply decide to look the other way.

You have to understand the "mentality" -- especially the cultural "hive mentality" in China, where the concept of "private property" is still something of a startling affront to The Communist Party. China makes mewling, sympathetic noises when our diplomats complain about pirated books, movies, electronics, etc. -- then they check their balance of payments, our $16 trillion dollar debt, and the fact that we borrow 40¢ of every dollar our government spends from them, and they ignore us.

Simple as that.

All of my designs -- the molds for the table top items -- were whisked out the back of Coca-Cola's "legit factory" (the "licensed one") and taken a couple of blocks away to the "other factory," where the molds were copied and the items "knocked off," overnight. I would often see my designs offered for sale, on the internet in Europe, before the first shipment manufactured for American consumption had cleared customs in Seattle.

Coca-Cola would mount up and charge off, swords waiving, but nothing would EVER be done to stop the pirating. Too much money is changing hands, and government officials are on the take from top to bottom.

Trying to stop pirating in the East is like trying to stop drug smuggling via Mexico. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
No watch collector with any self-respect for watch collecting is going to buy that.
Especially if they own Lum-tecs
Yet people with "homage" watches do all the time and for the most part watch forums say its ok to talk about it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yet people with "homage" watches do all the time and for the most part watch forums say its ok to talk about it.
I think there are some "homage" that are ok, and some that aren't. I won't ever buy a Steinhart or Debuafre Sub- or GMT-clone, but MKII seems fine to me. I have no idea how to justify what I just said, but that's how I feel.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Chris, I wish you the best of luck, pal.

I worked for Coca-Cola in Atlanta doing product design -- everything from packaging (the artwork on the cans), to the packaging Coca-Cola items ship in, to tabletop items for World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta and Vegas.

Coca-Cola has some of the best, most widely recognized trademarks and logos on planet Earth. We used to joke that the company had a basement full of lawyers sitting around on folding chairs, just waiting for somebody to try to infringe on a Coca-Cola patent, trademark or piece of intellectual property. In fact, Coca-Cola is super aggressive in the pursuit of these scoundrels, but it's to no avail in the far east, especially China, where copyright infringement is just a fact of life. The main problem is that there's no enforcement by the Chinese government. They pay lip service to our diplomatic entreaties and threats, then laugh all the way to the bank, as party leaders are routinely paid off and simply decide to look the other way.

You have to understand the "mentality" -- especially the cultural "hive mentality" in China, where the concept of "private property" is still something of a startling affront to The Communist Party. China makes mewling, sympathetic noises when our diplomats complain about pirated books, movies, electronics, etc. -- then they check their balance of payments, our $16 trillion dollar debt, and the fact that we borrow 40¢ of every dollar our government spends from them, and they ignore us.

Simple as that.

All of my designs -- the molds for the table top items -- were whisked out the back of Coca-Cola's "legit factory" (the "licensed one") and taken a couple of blocks away to the "other factory," where the molds were copied and the items "knocked off," overnight. I would often see my designs offered for sale, on the internet in Europe, before the first shipment manufactured for American consumption had cleared customs in Seattle.

Coca-Cola would mount up and charge off, swords waiving, but nothing would EVER be done to stop the pirating. Too much money is changing hands, and government officials are on the take from top to bottom.

Trying to stop pirating in the East is like trying to stop drug smuggling via Mexico. Good luck with that.
That's a great summary of the situation. But as an M-500 owner it still ****es me off at first sight . . lol. When I think about it though in a way this creates more awareness of the watch and then it's the cooler that I have a "real" one. It's almost like advertising because the actual customers of Lumtec wouldn't want a cheap piece of junk no matter how close it looked.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey when you get copied Isn't it an acknowlegdement of the brand lum-tec?

Imho it is!

Of course you should take action and stop the copying...

But not all brands have been copied :D

So welcome to the club!

·
Registered
330 Posts
^ "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." etc.etc.
As long as it doesn't siphon off sales...unfortunately, most people see cheaper as better. Amazing how many don't understand that you get what you pay for (up to a point). They'll gladly forgo the more expensive original for the cheaper copy & consider it a better deal. So flattery can get expensive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.