WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Know what the biggest fail of that watch is? Putting the crown on the same side as the pushers. They should have stayed true to the old Chronomatic calibers and put it on the other side. Breitling did a couple years ago and it's a sweet watch. Of course, as Rick notes the size is another fail. The original caliber 11 and 12's from Heuer/Hamilton/Breitling were usually between 40 and 42 mm.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tend to agree with the comments. It's a GREAT watch, but if you're going to issue a re-edition, stay true to the original.

42mm was large enough. And the crown on the left side was a unique feature.

The one modern update I tend to like on re-editions is the sapphire crystal (assuming the original has a plastic version).

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
I may just have to begin the hunt for the original verision since they were 42mm.:thumbup1:
You'd have an easier time finding a similar Heuer. Autavias pop up fairly often. Not the same color scheme but nice watches.

You should look at the manual wind Breitlings from the era. The Sprint and Transocean models from the 70's are really cool and have basic Valjoux calibers like the 7736 and 7740. Same as the Hamilton/Heuer automatics but without the microrotor.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I like it alot-have almost pulled the trigger multiple times @ my local store.Maybe thats whats stopping me since it's a rendition & didnt stay true.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Know what the biggest fail of that watch is? Putting the crown on the same side as the pushers. They should have stayed true to the old Chronomatic calibers and put it on the other side. Breitling did a couple years ago and it's a sweet watch. Of course, as Rick notes the size is another fail. The original caliber 11 and 12's from Heuer/Hamilton/Breitling were usually between 40 and 42 mm.
Left sided crown is a nuisance for a guy who wears on the left wrist. I'll go with it if the movement was actually designed that way, like the cal 11/12/15, but to contrive a left sided crown, like TAGHeuer does for some of its heritage Monacos powered by ETA 2892s (never mind calling an ETA 2892 a cal 11) strikes me as a particularly cynical, hollow form of watch design. See the other thread on "rich history"-type marketing.

Good luck with that.

I have yet to see one for sale.
They come up on ebay half a dozen times a year. In fact there is one on ebay right now (I am not the seller). Incidentally, it turns out they are 45mm, so the reissue is not that far off.

·
Registered
583 Posts
They come up on ebay half a dozen times a year. In fact there is one on ebay right now (I am not the seller). Incidentally, it turns out they are 45mm, so the reissue is not that far off.
Hamilton's specs on the re-issue show 45mm for the case width. That's still pretty big, but tempting, nonetheless. I think it's a very cool looking watch.

Incidentally, the vintage Pan Europ on the 'bay appears to have a 24-hr bezel. Odd...

·
Registered
689 Posts
You'd have an easier time finding a similar Heuer. Autavias pop up fairly often. Not the same color scheme but nice watches.

You should look at the manual wind Breitlings from the era. The Sprint and Transocean models from the 70's are really cool and have basic Valjoux calibers like the 7736 and 7740. Same as the Hamilton/Heuer automatics but without the microrotor.
Thanks for the tip. Of course, the last thing I need is to add another piece to my list of "must have vintage watches".
My sickness is getting worse.:lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.