WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is on its way to me soon. I have some Accuquartzes, and I've had one or two Accutrons that weren't keepers for me - but this one caught my attention because I haven't seen this type case before. Not pristine but I think I can forgive that in this case (pun intended, I guess). I will be in suspense until it arrives. The photos indicated the second hand moves. Maybe it runs well...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is as close to that watch as I can find. Aside from the Tuning fork location and wording variant, it's pretty close and we know dials do vary some like this. Other than that it's a match.

View attachment 224037
Yes indeed, that looks like the one. The print ad shows white day-date wheels, my incoming one has black wheels with white text. N2 date code, BTW.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I’ve got one

Black day/date. They’re relatively rare. The black inlay seems to be plastic, it’s recessed a little from the case edge. Mine ran, the quit, so it needs a spa trip, along with a couple others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve got one

Black day/date. They’re relatively rare. The black inlay seems to be plastic, it’s recessed a little from the case edge. Mine ran, the quit, so it needs a spa trip, along with a couple others.

That's a very nice example. I like the bracelet with its gold highlights.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It showed up with a gold tone expansion bracelet. There’s one on the ‘Bay right now with a different type of bracelet. I’m not sure if I’ll keep this particular bracelet, but it certainly works for the moment

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I put it on a new brown strap.

I regulated it, and will soon see if I came close to a good setting. It had been losing about 10 sec/day so regulation certainly was in order. The regulator cogs had been at midpoint, and I pushed them nearly to the limit in the faster direction.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm asking for guidance on replacing the back gasket.
I've ordered one from Esslinger, it should be here in a few days.
Please see photo below.

Usually I've found the existing gaskets pretty clean, and they lift out easily.
This one - and also the adjacent sides of the case - is partly covered in green junk. And, it does not separate easily from the case surface below it.

I've seen it lift away, but it requires a pretty good tug with a flat blade.
So I expect it will tear when I pull it out, and may leave material behind on the metal base surface.

So, what can I do to clean things when I remove the old gasket?
I've removed a couple movements from cases in the past, and returned them successfully.
But if I can safely clean it up without removing the movement+dial+hands, I'd prefer that.
I've never removed a crystal from a case, that would be a new venture for me.

I suspect that a q-tip dipped in alcohol is hazardous - fibers in the works would be a very bad thing.
I use Viva paper towels and paper "shop towels" in the shop when I don't want residue, but again - I suspect neither is ideal for watches.

This photo is from a few days ago, my first pass at regulating it.
You can see the green crud on the rubber and adjacent metal surfaces.
"Heavy gold electroplate" bezel.

I've since moved the wheels one tooth towards "slower", and it's now gaining about 1 or 1.5 sec/day. I'll observe how it does over the next 1-2 days sitting face up and decide then, whether I want to regulate it just a tad slower. I'm aiming for a very slight gain when stored, since that's where it will be most of the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts