WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I bought my Claremont Precisionist, I have admired the Champlain series. Apparently the Precisionist line isn't selling very well and prices recently have been deeply cut. Found this one today for less than 50% off MSRP with free S&H. Since the movement is the same in all Precisionist watches, the value of the watch is in the case and other features. The Champlain series has a titanium case, rotating bezel, carbon fiber dial, screw-down crown with double gasket, screw-down case back, water resistant to 990', rubber strap and a bunch of other features. Might sell my "M0" Claremont as I don't really wish to collect the Precisionist line.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I love that watch. May I ask where you bought it?
No problem. Bought it on The Bay. My seller only had one listed but there were others. I'll add to this thread in a little with model # and a link. At bulovaprecisionist.com you can see the other models in the Champlain line. There are several variations with MSRP ranging from $499 to $699. No matter which model in this line, they all have the same case construction and 300 m water resistance. Check back.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The MSRP on this Champlain model is $525. If you didn't want to wear it with the rubber band all the time, you could get a leather one to switch out unless you plan to use it in the water frequently. Below is the link to my seller. He has another listed now. Free S&H. The watch is due to arrive tomorrow and if it does, I will report back here as to it's condition. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The watch arrived today and it is absolutely perfect and gorgeous! Factory fresh - well sort of as the date is B1 or 2011. Since these aren't selling that well, old stock is being liquidated first. Not a problem for me at $239 for MSRP of $525. Even has cardboard sleeve over outer box and vynl protectors on crystal, case back and buckle. I like the carbon fiber inserts on the lug tops and crown end. May get a black Kevlar band with red accent stitching to complement the red second hand and red above each hour marker. Bezel rotates easily after first move. Counter-clockwise only. Center section of dial is grey with black outer section. Seller shipped promptly and by Priority Mail. When I was searching he had the lowest price at that time on The Bay.

For those interested in getting a Precisionist at some time, you should be aware that their accuracy often does not live up to what Bulova says. Supposed to be + or - 10 sec./yr. but many aren't experiencing that. My B0 Claremont (now for sale on The Bay) runs a little faster. Sam2 of this Forum experienced similar with his B1 date. This upsets some folks and not others. Bulova Accutrons often did not live up to their claimed accuracy when new.

I think Bulova missed the boat on these watches. As unique as the Precisionist quartz mvt. is, lots of folks won't pay that high a price for a quartz watch with no more complications than Date function. I would much rather have something with chronograph complications if I were paying up to $1000! Also, while lots of folks like big watches today, not all do and Bulova does not offer any substancially smaller men's models, even though the mvt. is not that large.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In the 8 weeks I've had my Claremont 96B129 its lost just a few ms more than a second. It's a B2 (2012).

Oliver, you have apparently seen inside your watches case. Did you take a pix? What battery does it take?

I will not attempt opening mine due to the infirmity of old age and loss of use of my left hand (this text is one
finger H & P) for fear of scratching the pressed-on case back. Would have been nice of Bulova to have put a
screw down back on the Claremonts but say la vie.....

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the 8 weeks I've had my Clairmont 96B129 its lost just a few ms more than a second. It's a B2 (2012).

Oliver, you have apparently seen inside your watches case. Did you take a pix? What battery does it take?

I will not attempt opening mine due to the infirmity of old age and loss of use of my left hand (this text is one
finger H & P) for fear of scratching the pressed-on case back. Would have been nice of Bulova to have put a
screw down back on the Clairmonts but say la vie.....
Your Precisionist is, indeed, living up to it's reputation for accuracy! :biggrin:

No, I didn't take mine apart for the same reason as you but did remember seeing pics of the inside. I think it was Sam2 who posted them or the link below.
www.BestofWatch.com • View topic - Bulova Precisionist Movement Pics and Info - P102, 8 jewels

The caliber appears to be P102, has 8 jewels and takes the CR2016 battery. Since the Precisionist line was first available for sale in the Fall of 2010, I haven't heard of any in need of battery replacement. One review said the 2016 battery was good for up to 10 yrs. in some quartz watches and speculated on 3+ yrs. in the Precisionist, assuming that mvt. requires more power/day.

Yes, I agree with you on the type of case back cover on many of the Precisionist models. You would think a watch costing $300 could have been fitted with a screw-on case back even if it was not certified to 990' as are some models.

I really did like my Claremont for it's simplicity but, when I saw that prices for up-line Precisionist models had dropped even more very recently, decided to "trade up" to this new one and sell my Claremont.

The diameter of the Champlain is greater than that of the Claremont. I have a Chinese knockoff of a Russian watch that made the Claremont look small (sort of) in comparison. This Champlain is about the same diameter but still slightly less tall than the Chinese watch.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought I would never own a quartz watch but with the smooth sweep I am rethinking it.

I may have to revise my mantra: "Don't drink, smoke or chew and don't own quartz and neither should you." :lol:
I think the Precisionist appeals to us Accutron owners because it is a Bulova (well, Citizen) and has the mesmerizing smooth sweep second hand. From my experience with the two models, they are a quality product. As I said earlier in this thread, I don't intend on starting a Precisionist collection. I really don't have a watch I consider to be a knock-around. Even my ultra cheap Chinese quartz, LED and autowind watches are unique enough that I don't consider them as expendables although, I guess they really are. Those are mostly for show as oddities and maybe occasional wear. Over the past year I have acquired around a dozen of them with some quite gaudy - just for fun. I also have two Russian Vostok 31 & 32 jewel watches on their way. One is a $56.50 water resistant (to 600') Amphibian Military and may end up being my daily wear watch with the Precisionist, vintage Bulova autowinds and Accutrons worn as special occasion and dress watches. Isn't it interesting that you can buy a rugged and dependable Russian 30+ jewel autowind for $50+ - $100+, designed for 10 years between services? It's not fun to think about but any watches I buy now will probably last longer w/o needing service than I will! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Champlain Precisionist now fitted with a carbon fiber, leather lined black band with contrasting red stitching. It's more comfortable to wear, especially in warm weather.

And with original band:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.