WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those here who thought I had given up on Accutrons, pics of my latest purchase. Didn't I just say in another thread I was through buying watches? :lol: This dial was seen on a watch here some time ago and I thought it was fantastic. It doesn't turn up often and in a SS case that I can clean to better condition, I just couldn't resist. Besides, like I have said, I have a real fondness for the 224 Accutron caliber. I had an Accutron with the same asymmetrical case, but in EGP, last year but didn't like the case condition and re-sold it. After I work my magic, this should be beautiful!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Yep, I remember seeing and liking that dial, nice catch. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Good to see that you haven't forgotten tuning forks.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I received the watch today and I am very pleased with it's condition! :001_tt1: HD photos and some lighting conditions often make decent condition watches look worse. That was the case with the seller's pics of this watch. That plus dirt they should have been cleaned off. The crystal has a couple of minor scuffs that will mostly polish out and the case + band/clasp look great. On this watch, the case and band show no signs of ever having a brushed finish so the minor abrasions will polish out nicely. The JBChampion band is "Bulova" signed on the clasp and the case date is "N2" - the first N2 Accuquartz in my collection. To the eye, the dial appears more blue than blue-green as seen in the first pics. I think the HD pics and flash exaggerated the green but, it definitely is there. This makes an outstanding addition to my Accuquartz collection. I will post "After" pics, when the watch is cleaned and polished.

ps: It even runs. :001_smile: Who could ask for more!

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
Its always nice to be surprised on the pleasant side. I think it is very hard to capture the true look of an object sometimes. I have purchased several watches and have been pleased with their condition which was much better then the pics showed. Always nice to hear of a good buying experience!!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here we go, pics after cleaning and light polishing. Might work a little more on the flat bezel area around the crystal as some light scratches are still seen but no more than you would describe as in "Excellent Condition". The case sides, back and JBChampion band are all in fantastic condition. Light scuffs on the crystal are above and between the 6&7 but are not concerning enough for me to hunt a replacement crystal. Even in the Accuquartz caliber - much less common than other 214/218 calibers - Bulova marketed a large number of case designs. I don't have a close up lens for my digital SLR - have to get one! But, new iPhone this Fall will have an even better camera so that may do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Value?

Hi, I just picked up the exact watch and want to get it cleaned. I'm new to the collecting world and need to consider value before I jump too far in.
thanks for any info you have
Rich

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum and Accutron collecting! These are great and fascinating watches. You picked a good one to start with. I am partial to SS cases as they don't damage as easily as gold or gold plated cases and usually can be polished to like-new condition. The exception being if they had an etched surface on part of the case. Please start a new thread for your watch and show us some pics. If you haven't already done so, look back on the forum and you will find numerous threads on the Accutquartz 224 Accutron movement. This was the last tuning fork mvt. Bulova designed and is actually a hybrid, bridging the gap between tuning fork technology and quartz technology.

If a case is badly scratched, I use Mothers Mag Wheel polish on a small cotton buffer wheel attached to my drill press. Slowest speed and several polishing steps. I finish off with Plastx polish - designed to polish plastic headlight covers. This works miracles on plastic crystals as well as gold/gold plated cases and even SS cases. SS will tarnish like gold and this polish will remove that tarnish and leave a protective finish on the metal. Always polish and clean with a micro fiber cloth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.