WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case you die hard Japanese & Asian watch forum members don't visit the General Forum... Here's my new inbound... Some more details if you check out the "In my opinion" thread in the General Forum...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Congrats gb1969 on the inbound Seiko Digital LCD

She's a gr8 looking quartz digital & I've always loved Seiko LCD's and also Analog/digitals.

Cheers, :thumbup1:
Jim

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jim and Bullosa...

I'm always partial to the automatics but for some reason, this vintage digital looking watch just felt cool to me...

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
Just in case you die hard Japanese & Asian watch forum members don't visit the General Forum... Here's my new inbound... Some more details if you check out the "In my opinion" thread in the General Forum...:biggrin:

Congrats on the inbound.

I have owned a slightly newer (But cheaper) version of this watch also from the Seiko Spirit lineup:

This is the SBGF001 variant with negative LCD display introduced in July, 2010.

These are great watches but they have some shortcomings you need to be aware about:

The radio controlled atomic time signal sync is finicky at best. Unlike radio controlled Citizens I have owned in the past (Best reception quality in the business, IMHO), the Seiko suffers from spotty reception quality and likes very specific places from where to grab the nightly signal from inside the house. I think the Seiko is better in this regard than Casio Waveceptors but not as good as Citizens. The first couple of nights you have to spend time finding the "Sweet spot" where the watch will spend the night in order to have a successful radio sync.

Another annoyance of this movement is its inability to automatically set DST (Daylight savings time) for both home and world time. Citizen RC watches already do this automatically. But in this Seiko, you have to manually keep track of the DST on/off setting for home and other supported timezones.

Hardlex crystal. I know, not terrible, but at 300+ USD I expect sapphire on this JDM watch (Even though is made and cased in China).

The looks..... I guess purely digitals have fallen off favor from me but this watch has a nerdy "Napoleon Dynamite" look that I could not get over with. I know this watch is a 21st century rendition of the classic 70s and 80s digital watch but with improved quality, bigger size, solar and atomic functions. Prior to this watch I used to own a German made Junghans Mega 1000, that while not as technically complete, the overall look of the watch is more modern and avoids the geeky look of the Seiko. Purely a personal thing but i did bother me enough over time to sell it.

Functionwise..... The S760 module used in this watches is fantastic. The ergonomics are great and all functions (Alarm, world time, timer, stop watch, etc) are intuitive and easy to use, just like a classic utilitarian LCD digital watch should be. One thing I loved about this watch is the ability to see the main/home time in all function modes. It is the only digital watch in the market that has this capability. Not even Casios offer main time visibility in all modes.

The case and bracelet are very good and the finish is decent. Your model is better than mine for sure. I didn't care for the bracelet on mine, but yours should be a solid link affair from the lugs to the clasp.

When you receive the watch, make sure the crystal seats evenly across the frame of the watch face. Mine had a little problem in one corner where the crystal was not sitting all the way. Not a biggie but it clearly was a QC snafu.

If you have a soft spot for classic Seiko/Japanese digital watches of yesteryear, this is it. 40mm case, 100m water resist, solar, atomic, what else could you ask for?

I think Seiko needs to refine it a little more and perhaps give it a more modern appearance. But since Seiko is moving in the direction of EPD/e-Ink displays seems to me the days of this classic "Power Design Project" Spirit are coming to an end. After all this watch was introduced in Japan in 2008.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's in...

Thanks MD!

The watch came in yesterday and the look, fit and finish are all great. I must of got lucky because the radio signal came in o.k. The retro/modern/yesteryear/nerdy look of the watch is what caught my eye. Had it sized today to hope to have some pics done tomorrow. It sits very well and comfortable on my wrist... I may even fall asleep wearing it!!!:w00t:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First Wrist Shot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts