WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now my M28 tungsten has water fogged crystals front and back. I've got it under a high intensity lamp with the stem unscrewed to drive out as much moisture as I can, but.....there's water in my Soprod!!! I've sent an eMail to Lum-Tec and asked if I should 'get her done' ASAP at the local watch maker or send it in to Lum-Tec. I live in Hawaii and that's a two day trip to home base even with express mail. How much time do I have before oxidation occurs? rust on the main spring or bearing surfaces of the escapement... Oh no Mr Bill...

Don't know how it came unscrewed, but I'd just come home from 10 mile mountain bike ride and may have rubbed it open on the ride. Moral to the story is check yer stem before bathing. (sounds like Army instructions for avoiding venereal disease). And then the question becomes how tight do you screw down the stem?????

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
If it were my watch, I would send it to Chris or Bes at Lum-Tec and tell them what happened. I'm sure they can put it back right for you for a reasonable cost. That is too nice a watch to not have it checked by the experts. Keep us posted on the outcome, please. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Dude ...

Mountain bike riding = Casio G Shock.

Hanging out in your convertible at the DQ, with the cheerleaders = M28.

Just sayin.

By the way, I received my new M23 on Wednesday (BEAUTIFUL!!), and yesterday the winding stem came COMPLETELY OUT!!

CRAP!!

Maybe it's just me, but the winding stem looks way better hooked to the watch than in my hand.

It will be on its way back to home base tomorrow A.M.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
356 Posts
Now my M28 tungsten has water fogged crystals front and back. I've got it under a high intensity lamp with the stem unscrewed to drive out as much moisture as I can, but.....there's water in my Soprod!!! I've sent an eMail to Lum-Tec and asked if I should 'get her done' ASAP at the local watch maker or send it in to Lum-Tec. I live in Hawaii and that's a two day trip to home base even with express mail. How much time do I have before oxidation occurs? rust on the main spring or bearing surfaces of the escapement... Oh no Mr Bill...

Don't know how it came unscrewed, but I'd just come home from 10 mile mountain bike ride and may have rubbed it open on the ride. Moral to the story is check yer stem before bathing. (sounds like Army instructions for avoiding venereal disease). And then the question becomes how tight do you screw down the stem?????
Another good thing to do is put it in a bowl of uncooked white rice. The rice will act as a desiccant and absorb the water. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Not a good idea to shower with your watch, generally speaking. The soap is bad for the links of metal bracelets, since most soaps typically contain fine abrasives. They also contain emollients which gum up screw tubes and can attack rubber seals. Also, I've read that there's a difference between the force of a shower spray and, say, swimming in a pool -- then there's the temperature of the water, etc.

A gentle rinse with clean, room-temperature tap water is recommended after diving in salt water, but bathing/showering with your "water resistant" watch is probably not a good practice.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Bummer, OkeefenokeeJoe! Wonder what is going on with that? Hope you get it back quickly. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not a good idea to shower with your watch, generally speaking. The soap is bad for the links of metal bracelets, since most soaps typically contain fine abrasives. They also contain emollients which gum up screw tubes and can attack rubber seals. Also, I've read that there's a difference between the force of a shower spray and, say, swimming in a pool -- then there's the temperature of the water, etc.

A gentle rinse with clean, room-temperature tap water is recommended after diving in salt water, but bathing/showering with your "water resistant" watch is probably not a good practice.
Now you tell me ! I hate to shower alone!

·
Registered
220 Posts
My M49 is my first real water resistant watch with a real rubber strap so I've been occasionally showering with it on. I always triple check the crown before the shower and then like 20 times in the shower.

After wearing only leather straps for the last two years it is kind of exciting to not have to worry about my watch or strap getting wet and actually occasionally purposely wetting it for no good reason LOL. (What a run on sentence)

·
Registered
410 Posts
My M49 is my first real water resistant watch with a real rubber strap so I've been occasionally showering with it on. I always triple check the crown before the shower and then like 20 times in the shower.

After wearing only leather straps for the last two years it is kind of exciting to not have to worry about my watch or strap getting wet and actually occasionally purposely wetting it for no good reason LOL. (What a run on sentence)
truth is I rarely take a watch off to shower.... and I do shower daily...

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I agree, putting it in uncooked rice with the crown pulled out for a few days to remove the moisture. But also get a watchmaker of Lum-Tec to open it up and have a look. Talk with Lum-Tec about what they suggest.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sorry that that happened to you. I love showering with my watch on.

Nothing stays perfect forever.

·
Registered
220 Posts

truth is I rarely take a watch off to shower.... and I do shower daily...
I should specify that I occasionally wear the watch in the shower, not occasionally shower :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Nothing stays perfect forever.
True -- we all should be somewhat fatalistic about our purchases of "stuff" and not go off the deep-end at the first appearance of a blemish.

On the other hand, if I see a hailstorm approaching, I'll bring in my pets and put the car in the garage.

I was just sharing what I'd read about the downside of showering every day while wearing a nice watch. The fact that I don't do it -- I'm the guy who always applies 50 SPF sunscreen before spending a day in the sun! -- is no reason for anybody else to pay any attention to my concerns.

Shower away, LumTechians! :w00t::w00t:

·
Registered
845 Posts

The only time I remove my watch is when I shower; I wear my watches all the time, but for this one exception.

·
Registered
410 Posts
True -- we all should be somewhat fatalistic about our purchases of "stuff" and not go off the deep-end at the first appearance of a blemish.

On the other hand, if I see a hailstorm approaching, I'll bring in my pets and put the car in the garage.

I was just sharing what I'd read about the downside of showering every day while wearing a nice watch. The fact that I don't do it -- I'm the guy who always applies 50 SPF sunscreen before spending a day in the sun! -- is no reason for anybody else to pay any attention to my concerns.

Shower away, LumTechians! :w00t::w00t:
:001_rolleyes: Forced to labor in the fields as a child for years, I have had melanoma (caught early) already so you would think I would not shower with a watch! Advice well given Ladd.. :001_smile: but as you say it's just "stuff".

·
Registered
330 Posts
Personally, I'd never shower with a watch on for 2 reasons:
A) Afraid the heat would expand the case just enough to allow leakage around the seals
B) Don't want soap residue in any crevices/cracks/joints
This subject has been done to death in other forums (yes, there are other forums :T ); just my $.02
I'd also send it back for a proper cleaning--too nice a watch to chance future rust inside. Hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
A) Afraid the heat would expand the case just enough to allow leakage around the seals
"IF" the case would expand due to heat, in theory you would not have to worry about
the leakage as increased pressure of expanding metal would actually allow for a tighter
fitting between the metal and gaskets. In real world this is probably only academic.
Yes, if you talk about multiple instances where there is a big difference in temperatures
(like for example sitting in hot sauna and then jumping to an icy cold tub) - then 'perhaps'
one could consider possible risks of leakage.

-----------------
I personally would not have ANY worry to shower or swim with any Lumtecs I currently
own (M27, V3, M61. M62).
I would not even have any problem to snorkel with them if I had a bracelet or a rubber
strap on. The only thing that would prevent me from the above activities is if I have
a nice leather strap on them.

uglyone4u, hope you will have a speedy and positive resolution to you situation.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I thought I once read that Chris said that the water resistance is not in the screw down crown but in the stem assembly itself. The older M's and Bulls and Chronos did not have screw down crowns - but were still water resistant to 100m.

Now if the stem was pulled out for date or time setting - that's a different story.

Can anyone verify my statement above?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts