WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

In my opinion...

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  stratct 
#1 · (Edited)
I think every good collection should include a Rolex an Omega a JMO Seiko and/or a Grand Seiko, a great Chronograph, white, black & blue dials, at least one vintage piece, a custom piece, a reliable beater, a German watch, a Casio G-Shock and I'm sure there's a bunch of other categories and sub-categories - but I'm just "opinion-ating" off the cuff... Thanks to the forum for adding an endless amount of categories...:biggrin:

My point is that I went shopping for a classic G-Shock but apparently this one is tough to find (MS5600BC-1JF):

But the search wasn't completely in vain because I bumped into, and bought, this one (Seiko SBPG001):001_smile:...

I don't think this will appeal to all but it really did to me and thus it's my new inbound... Believe this model came out in 2009 and also goes by the name "Spirit Digital". Pics to follow...

Bear in mind that I'm still in the market for a classic G-Shock, a Rolex (probably a Sub - someday) and at least a half dozen other watches half of which I don't know what category they'll fall into or how I'm going to pay for them$$$... :w00t:

See less See more
#5 ·
I think every good collection should include
Let the games begin!

How about if you did own one previously?

Got that covered in spades. Why not a Longines though? Or IWC? Or __________ (fill in your pet brand)

a JMO Seiko and/or a Grand Seiko
Can I sub an 009?

a great Chronograph
A Valjoux 7750 is great..... in numbers. :laugh:

white, black & blue dials
I agree that variation in dial color is a necessity. I see too many collections that are all black dials.

One thing - you forgot Orange.

at least one vintage piece
Right, no problem there either.

a custom piece
Wouldn't mind an RGM. :thumbup1:

a reliable beater
G-shocks or Seiko divers can do double duty.

a German watch
Had a Mühle Glashütte with a Swiss movement. I'll check that box off using my liberal application of the categories.

a Casio G-Shock
Got one with my 2000 Ford Focus.

..... and promptly gave it to my teenage niece. She thought it was über-cool. I was less than enthusiastic about it. But in keeping with my theory of ticking off the boxes it counts.

Thanks to the forum for adding an endless amount of categories...:biggrin:
Yes, you forgot the oft-queried "watch that matches my car" and "one single watch". :001_rolleyes::laugh: Gotta have a dress watch too as stratct pointed out.

#8 · (Edited)
Categories

Oh my Gosh... How can I be so ignorant??? :confused1:
Here's a few more categories... Try filling this one in Dennis!!!:sneaky2:

• A Spaceview Accutron
  • For Pete's sake an Orange dial!!!:w00t:
  • Pet Brand (for me the IWC + Seiko)
  • The watch that matches my car - such an obvious category
  • Dress watch
  • Dive watch
  • Sailing watch
  • Aviator watch
  • The "Weekender" watch - day time
  • The "Weekender" watch - night time
  • The "Your Profession" watch
  • Of course the Moon Phase watch
  • Stainless (with and without PVD), Gold (Yellow + White), Platinum, Bronze, Ceramic, Wood (yes I did say wood)
  • If we go digital - The "Tide" "Temp" "Barometer" "Altimeter" "Heart Rate" "Bluetooth enabled" watches
  • Date only watch
  • Day/Date watch
  • Manual wind
  • Automatic
  • Power reserve
  • Spring Drive
  • Quartz Analog
  • Digital with battery
  • Digital Solar
  • The Sunday afternoon "I'm going to do jack $#!* today and watch golf on tv" watch

I'm sure there's some missing...:laugh:

Reactions: SeanO
#13 ·
Wow, never seen one of those before and I am a little partial to a nice retro looking digital.
This has become my next target - many many thanks for posting this up. :thumbup1:
Thanks... Agreed it certainly has a retro look to it... You could even throw the word "geeky" in there...

#15 ·
Well I guess I'll never have a good collection then because I'm just a regular blue collar guy on a fixed income who will never be able to afford a Rolex, or a Grand Seiko, or a great chronograph!

#16 · (Edited)
Wasn't meant to imply/impose my opinion on collection to everyone... Not sure if I'll ever justify the funds towards a Rolex or a Grand Seiko but I think with their history and their market presence (just in my opinion) warrants them to be on my collection list... Collections are personal and thus I'm not judging...

That said, I may as well throw in a Patek on the collection list which is out of reach for me - at least for now...:biggrin:

#18 ·
Oops!

Sorry about that.

I just noticed I forgot to put a " :lol::001_tt2: " at the end of my sentence. That'll teach me not to post when I need to
say hello to to Mother Nature. :blush:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.