WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys !

For the past few months I have been obsessed with obtaining the GIANT size 6s trench watches.

These have always been an Elgin (4 in three months) but this time it's an ILLINOIS!

This is a transition period watch, the movement pre-dates the case by around 30 years.

The movement is a grade 144, lever set, sn 590222, 15 jewels.

Somebody did a VERY nice job cutting out the lever set slot on the case, very professional job!

The integrated stem has a modified size .30 die thread, it was square at one point, very professional job as well.

Nice Roman numeral enamel dial with an outer chapter of minute markers.

The Philadelphia "Silverode" trench case measures a whopping 42mm lug to lug and 38mm without the crown.

I removed some deep scratches from the case and put that mirror like finish on it once again.

I completely took the movement apart and cleaned it.

The old mainspring was not broken but I installed a brand new one anyway, pretty much everything gets a brand new spring these days.

I also just installed a brand new glass crystal with the UV curing machine and to finish it off a 16mm black & white Pigskin band.

I know that Farrell has at least one of these GIANT size 6s Illinois with a Roman dial at his museum, looks very similar to this one but the dial design is a bit different.

Greg, don't you have one or two of these ? ? ?

And now for the "WRISTSHOT" ! ! ! ! ! !

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Wow, Stan, that's fantastic! I love the detail on the dial!

38mm in diameter? That's almost too small for today's crowd!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I love the dial too!

That inner black ring around the bottom of the Roman numerals makes the dial jump out!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Stan, those hands and that dial give it a very elegant, dignified look! Would seem like a banker could also have worn it, not only a soldier. Very nice! Thanks for showing the update!:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Wow Stan!!! That is remarkable. If I were in the market for a new one, this would be HIGH on my list.

Fantastic work!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Have you notice the quality of your finished products improving? If so, would you ever consider making a progression thread with some final watches that you started with so we can see in succession how your work has gone.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure, no problem.

Sometimes I remember to take pictures at every step, sometimes I don't but I will make an effort to do so for a step by step thread for the forum.

Lots of watches are inbound right now.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I might not have been clear when I first posted the request. I meant, do you see an improvement in overall quality in finished products from when you first started. I was hoping to see your progression on completed pieces. Of course getting to see a step by step would be awesome too!

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Beauty Stan...
Fred, what would this be considered?

It is a PW movement and dial (a beauty I might add)

Would this be a "Generic" Transition period example
that someone put together years ago?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might not have been clear when I first posted the request. I meant, do you see an improvement in overall quality in finished products from when you first started. I was hoping to see your progression on completed pieces. Of course getting to see a step by step would be awesome too!
Overall improvement quality? Yes.

You guys have all seen the basket cases that I have taken in and then the final results so those results are obvious.

Other things that really can't be seen in a picture are the small things that get fixed.

Such as a new stem, inner sleeve, new mainsprings, polishing the inside of metal bushings, repairing a bent hinge, replacing a clutch wheel or pinion, hairspring adjustments and so on................

Tending to these tiny things along with doing cosmetic repairs like case polishing, removing scratches and pitting, removing hairlines from dials, new crystals, replacing a stripped crowns, finding the correct set of hands, new bands all improve overall quality.

Then when it is all put back together the timing, & amplitude have to be right, case pressure sometimes can play a roll and through you for a loop.

Not every watch gets to me in horrible condition, some are half way decent that only need minor repairs (gotta love those days).

So yes, overall quality has been improved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts