WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been dreaming about owning an SMP for the last several years and finding this website hasn't helped matters any. I've been lurking a while and finally joined up to ask you old pros a few questions.

I'm 90 percent ready to buy but I still have a few concerns. I'm leaning towards the Seamaster 300M 2222.80.00.

I am curious about maintenance costs. In the future, how much will an automatic cost me to keep in good working order?

How accurate can I expect the 2222.80.00 to be in comparison to the 2223.80.00 Quartz?

Lastly, I don't have a local dealer, in fact the nearest dealer is halfway across the state. Is there a recommended online source that might offer the best prices and can be trusted?

Thank you all in advance for your responses.

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
A very warm welcome to WTF and OMEGALand Mr FAL Guy.

Glad to know you're considering a 2222.80.

It's powered by a Co-Axial movement which therefore allows it a longer service interval, typically 7 to 10 years before it will require a service. A link to Omega's site detailing service charges may be found in the resource section of this forum. The Co-Axial guarantees stability in the time-keeping of the watch over a longer term too and while mechanicals are more expensive to service than quartz models you do have the knowledge that on your wrist is a crafted product. Nothing against quartz since they offer low maintenance costs and are highly accurate.

Please check your PM for an answer to your final question.

Wish you well in your hunt and hope you'll be able to drop in and share in the chat and fun we have here on a daily basis

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Omega is a fine watch..

The midsize you are interested in (36mm) is identical to the full size Bond SMP (41mm). It has a certain look about it that is pleasing, and the blue is a nice change from the typical black dive watches that are everywhere.

I don't see where you live, but I'm sure there are a bunch of on-line stores to provide you what you want....go to the home page here and click on some of the sponsor banners.

A mechanical watch is a bit like a good car.. It does need some periodic maintenance and every few years should be sent to a watchmaker for a Clean, Oil, and Adjust service. The Co-axial movement is advertised for 9 or 10 years. The cost varies, but expect at least a couple of hundred for a good job from a reputable shop..

A mechanical watch is not as precise as a quartz but can be regulated to less than a second per day. The typical accuracy is a couple of seconds per day.

:cool1:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Gents for your quick responses and PM'ed info. Maintenence costs don't seem bad at all.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thank you Gents for your quick responses and PM'ed info. Maintenence costs don't seem bad at all.
The costs are manageable, but the downtime is excruciating! Best reason I know, to have many good mechanical watches. The loss to service of a couple does not decrease the WIS's delight too much. :001_tongue:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts