WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this world, so please be gentle.

So there I was with some time to spare in London this week. Not having had a watch for about twenty years, I decided to search out Somlo Antiques in Burlington Arcade - supposedly the UK's only vintage Omega dealer authorised by Omega.

Greeted by a very nice chap; told him the sort of thing I was interested in, and he brought out such a thing of beauty. As soon as it was offered to my wrist it was instant love! At long last, an exquisite piece of engineering.

1967 Seamaster De Ville 14 carat gold. No idea I'm afraid of movement type, as I had no real knowledge of such things (until I found this forum).

Trouble is they want GBP2,500 for it. Now that I'm surfing for similar I'm suspecting that's way over the odds?

To the untrained eye it seemed to be in fantastic condition (no pictures I'm afraid). Apparently every Somlo watch is fully serviced by one of their Omega technicians, and comes with a two year guarantee.

So there you have it; being so new and so ignorant in this field, I wouldn't dare buy from eBay, so presumably my options are limited... or are they?

Thanks in advance for bearing with me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. In the meantime I've certainly been reading a lot (concentrating on 1960s Constellations), but am getting more confused with respect to the Omega vintage database, case reference nos., movement serial nos. etc.

Has anyone come across the website Posh Time here in the UK (run by Robin Armstrong)?

They seem to be much better priced, and have a couple of nice Constellations which I'm interested in e.g. Omega Constellation Auto Chronometer c.1966 | Secondhand and Vintage Watches - Poshtime.co.uk

Trouble is, the more I read the less trusting I get, and I'm probably not yet capable of spotting a decent Frankenwatch.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
In the meantime I've certainly been reading a lot (concentrating on 1960s Constellations), but am getting more confused with respect to the Omega vintage database, case reference nos., movement serial nos. etc.
If you haven't seen it, Desmond's site is fantastic:

Omega Constellation Collectors

The vintage database is incomplete. We'll tell you what X goes with what Y here.

Has anyone come across the website Posh Time here in the UK (run by Robin Armstrong)?

They seem to be much better priced, and have a couple of nice Constellations which I'm interested in e.g. Omega Constellation Auto Chronometer c.1966 | Secondhand and Vintage Watches - Poshtime.co.uk
Not familiar with them, but $1800 is WAY too high for that watch. It has a replacement crown (not a terrible thing but an additional expense to have corrected), the case was polished enough to take the crispness off the lugs, and a dome dial is no where near as desirable as a pie pan. That's an $800 watch.

Trouble is, the more I read the less trusting I get, and I'm probably not yet capable of spotting a decent Frankenwatch.
You do have good instincts then because there are a lot of shenanigans surrounding vintage Omega now that they're bringing good money. We'll help you sort out the correct from the frankens if you post here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I've been looking at Desmond's site - a veritable (if overpowering to the newcomer) feast of information.

I'm afraid to say I just don't like the pie pan, so the search for a better-priced authentic source will have to continue.

Thank you so far for your offer of help - I'm sure I'll be back very soon.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
Well, having spent all this time researching Constellations (and vowing I wouldn't even look at eBay), I came across this last night - Vintage 18K Solid Gold Omega Seamaster De Ville - very good condition! Bargain! | eBay

I've asked for the case number and movement serial number. Seems a bit strange that the case number has been blurred out in the relevant picture - suspicious?

Any help grateful. Thanks
I'm VERY suspicious of that watch. It's a front loading case, yet the blurred reference number suggests it's 5 digits and not 6 - looks like 149xx SC 6x. I'm going to call in for extra help.

·
Registered
455 Posts
There's another database at Jules Borel (a jeweler's supply house). That one checks the Ref. 14915 to cal. 600, so the movement seems to be correct. Can't tell you much about the dial, as I haven't been able to find a picture of another watch with the same reference.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.