WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't say I'm a big fan of Spaceviews! I find them confusing and a bit strange to look at.

It's sort of like as a kid when you see your parent accidentally when he/she has no clothes on....... :blink:

I will admit I've never actually seen one in the flesh (I live in Aust...) and I might change my attitude if I strapped one on. Anyone got one they don't want and feel a biblical urge to convert one of the unconverted??? :wink:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
:lol: We all have different preferences. Doesn't make one thing better or worse. I can see your point. The most unique thing about a Spaceview, of course, is the view of the tuning fork movement. They sure do attract attention when worn. If you have a collection of Accutrons, IMHO, at least one should be a Spaceview.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I agree with Oliver that a Spaceview is almost a required part of an Accutron collection.
Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. I wore a Spaceview to work the other day, they Know I collect watches. A guy told me that it was the ugliest watch he had ever seen but a couple of the ladies said they really liked the look.
I think they may be an acquired taste, kinda like beer.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
:lol: We all have different preferences. Doesn't make one thing better or worse. I can see your point. The most unique thing about a Spaceview, of course, is the view of the tuning fork movement. They sure do attract attention when worn. If you have a collection of Accutrons, IMHO, at least one should be a Spaceview.
Five is even better...:biggrin:

·
Registered
648 Posts
HaHa Peter I was of the same opinion not so long ago. But I think you fall in love more with the history. Since purchasing my one i agree yes it's different, pretty ? Possibly but it certainly has a story to tell. I love mine and I'm still fascinated with the Tuning Fork movement and often catch myself staring at the watch. The Hum is addictive. However my wife thinks it's butt ugly and has failed to be convinced. :crying:

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HaHa Peter I was of the same opinion not so long ago. But I think you fall in love more with the history. Since purchasing my one i agree yes it's different, pretty ? Possibly but it certainly has a story to tell. I love mine and I'm still fascinated with the Tuning Fork movement and often catch myself staring at the watch. The Hum is addictive. However my wife thinks it's butt ugly and has failed to be convinced. :crying:
My concern is that being ADHD inclined (does that still exist?), enthusiastic, highly stimulated, whatever, I would become transfixed with looking at the **** thing and spend long long unproductive days just staring at it!!

I always remember hearing about these things and a bit of the history and how they the hummmmmm. And you think, "Oh yeah, whacko...That might be interesting..." And then you bloody hear one and that's that.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
My concern is that being ADHD inclined (does that still exist?), enthusiastic, highly stimulated, whatever, I would become transfixed with looking at the **** thing and spend long long unproductive days just staring at it!!
I resemble that remark! :lol: I have several Accutrons in my collection that I would never have bought when new because I would have said I won't wear that ugly thing on my wrist. I buy them now because they are unique, representing what was being marketed at the time. I'm also into cheap Chinese butt ugly watches just for the fun of displaying them - both quartz and mechanical.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I resemble that remark! :lol: I have several Accutrons in my collection that I would never have bought when new because I would have said I won't wear that ugly thing on my wrist. I buy them now because they are unique, representing what was being marketed at the time. I'm also into cheap Chinese butt ugly watches just for the fun of displaying them - both quartz and mechanical.
Hahaha - I'm sort of into those BIG early 70s electric Benrus. I love them. They just run when you stick a battery in them. No long expensive trips to and from Bulgaria!!.......I've got (goodness...) 5 of them in slightly different styles

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The most unique thing about a Spaceview, of course, is the view of the tuning fork movement. If you have a collection of Accutrons, IMHO, at least one should be a Spaceview.
This is what I'm trying to remedy for my next, and second Accutron tuning fork watch. Still waiting on my unofficial, very inexpensive woman's 221 movement to show up in the mail. Not counting that as my 2nd, since the thing may not even work.

I think I'd like a simple stainless steel, circular case or even a tv dial Spaceview. The hunt is on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.