WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to collecting and this is my first post. I think I got really lucky at the Goodwill store this weekend and would like some opinions on my aquisition. I paid $75 for this because I thought this was a great looking watch. The watch does run, but their is a problem with the stem - it is permanently in the setting position but can still be wound be pushing in the crown and winding. I am a little familiar with the Illinois
name so I bought it. The watch appears to be completely original down to the band. Any thoughts?
101_2010.jpg 101_1981.jpg 101_2012.jpg 101_2005.jpg 101_1968.jpg

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Jeez!!! What a find!!!

That is a smoking deal on a very classy Illinois.

Hands, dial, case, crown all look original to me. You know... Fred Friedburg (FJF) and Greg (RJ007) are part of this forum and would be a great resource to tell you more about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great find! very hard watch to get w/ a decent original dial. the small wear on the corners is common and could be fixed, but no need as honest wear to me is a good thing. you basically stole this watch.

Hi all,

I am new to collecting and this is my first post. I think I got really lucky at the Goodwill store this weekend and would like some opinions on my aquisition. I paid $75 for this because I thought this was a great looking watch. The watch does run, but their is a problem with the stem - it is permanently in the setting position but can still be wound be pushing in the crown and winding. I am a little familiar with the Illinois
name so I bought it. The watch appears to be completely original down to the band. Any thoughts?
View attachment 30065 View attachment 30064 View attachment 30063 View attachment 30062 View attachment 30061

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Illinois Viking

Thanks for all the input. This is a great site. So you think it is better to not bother repairing the small amount of brassing? Would it effect value much? I am not planning on selling as I feel pretty lucky to have this watch. I do plan on wearing it occasionally. I usually do my own watch cleaning, but this one I do not want to touch. What should I expect to pay for a cleaning?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I think you could expect $150 to $250 for servicing and cleaning. Depending on your watchmaker.

They're very cool watches and I'm happy that you brought it here!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Illinois Viking

Thank you for all of your positive responses. I genuinely love this site! I found it by accident trying to find some info on my Illinois purchase.

James

·
Registered
192 Posts
James

Congrats you got an awesome deal. What is the address of that place ?
You must write up a Fantastic Find for me about how you found this great deal.
Please send it to me at [email protected]. I am writing a series of articles for the National Watch Association on Fantastic Finds and this would be a perfect addition.

Please send it to me at the above email address.

Well done
FJF

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Hey James, FJF up there is Fred... IE The ultimate authority in Illinois watches. I mentioned him in my first post, but he is the author of the most amazing book in Illinois collecting. You can search it on google if you ever want to look at it. Every serious Illinois collector has and lives by the book. He is an amazing guy and how much he can teach you will blow your mind. Send him an email and let him write up this story for his article! We'd love to see your story published!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey James, FJF up there is Fred... IE The ultimate authority in Illinois watches. I mentioned him in my first post, but he is the author of the most amazing book in Illinois collecting. You can search it on google if you ever want to look at it. Every serious Illinois collector has and lives by the book. He is an amazing guy and how much he can teach you will blow your mind. Send him an email and let him write up this story for his article! We'd love to see your story published!!!
Thank you Jeff

You are too kind.

I do encourage everyone to send their Fantastic Finds to me at [email protected]. The Editor of the Watch and Clock Bulletin was " thrilled" with the first article and cannot wait to read more. This will hopefully really catch on.

FJF

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Illinois Viking

I would gladly write up my story for you. I'll even try to make it interesting! It's one of those times when I wasn't looking for anything in particular.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
For a name with Elgin in it ,
You found a heck of a GREAT Illinois there!!!:biggrin:

You stole it!

Those are going for QUITE a lot more than that on the open market!

Wonderful Find...
PLEASE email Fred your story...
Fred is the Godfather of all things Illinois!

G

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would gladly write up my story for you. I'll even try to make it interesting! It's one of those times when I wasn't looking for anything in particular.
Thanks ElginJames I greatly look forward to your email of this Fantastic Find.

FJF

·
Registered
192 Posts

All the better James. It will add to making a true Fantastic Find.

Enjoy the Viking. BTW I agree with Off Duty's comments on the minor braising it is very common on that model and not highly objectionable at all.

Thanks again
FJF

·
Registered
192 Posts
All

ElginJames just emailed me a terrific Fantastic Find. I hope the rest of you on this Forum do the same.

Thanks James

FJF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts