WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I went to a local auction today in Amish country that we frequently attend. Sometimes they have watches, always have some really crummy clocks. Today they had a nice Illinois "Aristocrat" Double sunk dial with a gold filled case that seemed like it was running pretty good. I have just recently been learning about pocket watches and thought I would give it a go. I don't think I overpaid, and the bidding "wars" are always fun.

I have been looking for a nice "daily wearer" pocket watch that I can use for my cowboy action shooting costume and this will fit the bill nicely. It has a not so obvious scratch on the crystal from the 7 to the 4, and under magnification you can see that it was someones daily wearer because the bottom rim of the case has a wear (not through the gold fill) mark like it was carried crown up in the owners pocket. The case back also has some nice tastefull floral engraving on it that also shows some pocket wear, but no big scratches anywhere. It's the perfect watch for Cowboy Action. I bought a nice Hamilton RR watch a while ago that is just too darned nice to wear for that type of rigorous activity.

I think it is a size 12 watch, and a model 10 movement. The case back and case serial numbers both match, and the serial numbers show it was manufactured in 1917. I didn't see the case listed in the book (complete price guide 2012) where I also looked up the movement and mfg. date. That was actually quite a bit of fun and I can see why the pocket watch guys get such a big kick out of researching the watches. Some little bit of detective work and it was kind of satisfying.

At least my score was easier to carry than my wifes six cattle brands and wrought Iron "display" rack

Shown next to fireplace poker for comparison.

Now all I have to do is get a gold chain to replace the nice, but silver colred one that came with the watch, and find a fob that will go with my "alias". It's in the watch pocket of my jeans now and I think I will wear it for a while.:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Nice Illinois PW Twitchy!
It has some nice character and should give you good service for a good long time.
Did you bring it to a watchmaker for a general cleaning?
It looks like it is quite clean, but I always like to have stuff checked out
It will usually let you know if the oils and other parts are ok.
G

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, no cleaning, I have been wearing it for the last few days and no hiccups. Has been keeping good time by my standards (I don't check it to the second). I also thought it was nice and clean. Under magnafication the "innards" look pretty good too, no deposits etc... I will show it to my pocket watch mentor for a quick check, but I think it is pretty good to go. Maybe I will have him oil it when I'm there and get a lesson in proper lubrication.

One thing I have noticed about wearing the watch, it's not as convenient as a wristwatch, especially when seated as I wear it in the watch pocket on my jeans. I have got a few "what the heck is that looks" when out in public. I also find myself checking it more frequently as I am quite enamoured with it for the time being. I am really enjoying it though, and can see wearing it more than I thought.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
No, no cleaning, I have been wearing it for the last few days and no hiccups. Has been keeping good time by my standards (I don't check it to the second). I also thought it was nice and clean. Under magnafication the "innards" look pretty good too, no deposits etc... I will show it to my pocket watch mentor for a quick check, but I think it is pretty good to go. Maybe I will have him oil it when I'm there and get a lesson in proper lubrication.

One thing I have noticed about wearing the watch, it's not as convenient as a wristwatch, especially when seated as I wear it in the watch pocket on my jeans. I have got a few "what the heck is that looks" when out in public. I also find myself checking it more frequently as I am quite enamoured with it for the time being. I am really enjoying it though, and can see wearing it more than I thought.
It is a beauty and should serve you well for a good long time! A good check of the oils should
Be done with these as you never know when it was done last... Can't hurt!
Congrats!
G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.