WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"If you have the right tool. . . you can handle any job. . . or so my dad used to say. When it came to buying tools, he never scrimped.

I have discovered that is true with watch tools. Since I know some members of the Hamilton faithful enjoy popping the hoods (or caseback) on their watches, I was wondering what tools you have and use.

For me, I bought a Bergeon spring bar tool, a fiberglass pin remover, a set of micro screwdrivers (never used), several needle-nose pliers, a Sears small hammer with a rubber tip on one side and a plastic tip on the other side of the head, a scratch awl, a punch set, and a couple of measuring devices (metric and British). When I bought a new strap for one of my Zodiac chronos a few weeks ago, Kenny from Freda Straps (a forum sponsor btw) sent along a mini-spring bar tool. It comes in handy. So far, a small investment.

What tools do you have OR would like to have?

Banned
I got a complete watch repair kit a couple of years ago for Xmas.
I use the spring bar tool (and sometimes a little knife and an awl like implement) for bracelet and strap changes and fine adjustments.
I also use the link removal tools and hammer,along with the bracelet holding block (or whatever it's called!!)
The rest of the tools I'll never use-even if I ever figure out what they're for!!:scared:

Registered
Well although almost all of my automotive tools are Snap-On I have made my watch tools for bracelets and spring bars from old dental tools...yep that's what I work with and yes I did scratch a link on my new Seamaster moving links around, oh well there's extras...the pins were a bear to remove, which is weird becasue my Seamaster GMT has the same bracelet and they just snap right out...something must be different.

Registered
Rusty you need one of those blocks to hold your bracelet and also has holes in the bottom so the pin can be driven out. I would also suggest a case back opener and a plastic tweezer for battery changes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.