WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I am new here. Can anyone help me identify this Hamilton? i do not know how to open this watch, so if anyone can guide me how to open this watch, so i can take a pic of the movement. I really appreciated. Watch Analog watch White Watch accessory Rectangle
:confused1:

·
Super Moderator
16,683 Posts
First, welcome to Watch Talk Forums!

You might want to hold off on getting movement pics until you have the watch professionally cleaned and oiled. If you can't figure out how to open the case, it may be a front loader with a one-piece case. The crystal comes out and the movement manipulated in order to remove the winding stem. Only then can the movement be removed for servicing (or photographing). Replacing the stem and putting the crystal back in are extraordinarily difficult if you don't know what you're doing. That sort of task should be left to a watch repairman!

As to its identity, I'm not sure because of the lack of design detail. It is from the late 50's though. It could be either a 1958 Thinline II, or a
1956-1957 Edgemere "B". Both had the same looking dial. And both were from the Hamilton MEDALLION series of watches. Medallion movements were more finely finished, and more closely adjusted for accuracy, than their standard movements.
The only obvious way to tell them apart is the Thinline II had a case made of 14k yellow or white gold.
The case of the Edgemere "B" was gold-filled.
(Gold filling is a sheet of gold bonded to the base metal, and is much thicker than gold plating.)

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, welcome to Watch Talk Forums!

You might want to hold off on getting movement pics until you have the watch professionally cleaned and oiled. If you can't figure out how to open the case, it may be a front loader with a one-piece case. The crystal comes out and the movement manipulated in order to remove the winding stem. Only then can the movement be removed for servicing (or photographing). Replacing the stem and putting the crystal back in are extraordinarily difficult if you don't know what you're doing. That sort of task should be left to a watch repairman!

As to its identity, I'm not sure because of the lack of design detail. It is from the late 50's though. It could be either a 1958 Thinline II, or a
1956-1957 Edgemere "B". Both had the same looking dial. And both were from the Hamilton MEDALLION series of watches. Medallion movements were more finely finished, and more closely adjusted for accuracy, than their standard movements.
The only obvious way to tell them apart is the Thinline II had a case made of 14k yellow or white gold.
The case of the Edgemere "B" was gold-filled.
(Gold filling is a sheet of gold bonded to the base metal, and is much thicker than gold plating.)
Thank You Bill. Here are a few more pics with design detail. It said 10KGOLD FILLED S&W. Watch Analog watch White Watch accessory Rectangle
Brown Font Strap Fashion accessory Wrist
Serveware Ingredient Wood Pottery Dishware
Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Rectangle Table
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

I will have watch repairman to open it up since i think it is a front loader with a one-piece case, since I did not see or find any small open space or groove surround the edge.
Again, Thank you. Kurtis

·
Super Moderator
16,683 Posts
Our pleasure, Kurtis. Keep us in mind if you have any other questions, okay?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
From 1960. Should have a Grade 676 movement inside there. The hour hand is the give-away. May I borrow your photo for a little project I'm working on?

·
Super Moderator
16,683 Posts
Oh well....I was close! :blushing::blushing::blushing:
Thanks for catching that detail, Dave. I have to admit I missed that hour hand.

Is Kurtis's watch a front-loader?

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From 1960. Should have a Grade 676 movement inside there. The hour hand is the give-away. May I borrow your photo for a little project I'm working on?

Thank you Davemcc for the valuable infor. Yes, you may borrow photo. if you need a better quality photo, i can upload. sorry for the late respond.
Kurtis

P.S., the watch is running and keeping perfect times. so i am not in a hurry to open it up, i don't want to ruining it. I just wonder how the movement looks like.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Thank you Davemcc for the valuable infor. Yes, you may borrow photo. if you need a better quality photo, i can upload. sorry for the late respond.
Kurtis

P.S., the watch is running and keeping perfect times. so i am not in a hurry to open it up, i don't want to ruining it. I just wonder how the movement looks like.
Kurtiston,

You might want to take it to a reputable watch repairman, just so he can see if it has been serviced recently. If it has not, you can do some rather severe damage by running it. (Think running your car with old grungy oil that is three quarts low.)

These movements were top of the line in their day and battle on valiantly. But, without the proper preventive maintenance, you might not get the lifelong enjoyment that is possible for this watch to give you.

Beautiful watch by the way, I haven't seen this one other than in the catalogs before. :thumbup1:

Reactions: CometHunter

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kurtiston,

You might want to take it to a reputable watch repairman, just so he can see if it has been serviced recently. If it has not, you can do some rather severe damage by running it. (Think running your car with old grungy oil that is three quarts low.)

These movements were top of the line in their day and battle on valiantly. But, without the proper preventive maintenance, you might not get the lifelong enjoyment that is possible for this watch to give you.

Beautiful watch by the way, I haven't seen this one other than in the catalogs before. :thumbup1:
I will take your advice and take it to a reputable watch repairman. When i do, I will take some pics and post them. I have seen a lot of Hamilton watches but not this one with it's unusual dial. That is why i bought it without hesitation when I saw it. :001_smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.