WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wow! Hard to say, specifically. If it’s a solid case, you’ve got more value, obviously. Can we get a better pic of the case back? Usually there’s a pretty clear stamp on the case back of a letter and number code, which will date the watch. N = 60’s, M = 70’s. This watch is probably from that era, it’s configured like Accutron watches from that time period.
Does the watch run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,527 Posts
This is as close to that watch as I could find with a limited search. The dial is the same except for the location of the Applied Tuning fork LOGO and Accutron wording. That caseback has that special insignia not often seen on these watches. It's hard to see without better caseback pics. That Tuning fork second-hand may be a replacement also? I would guess that's in the 1970-1973 range (Roughly). MyBulova may have a pic of that watch but I didn't venture over there to look.

Watch Clock Font Analog watch Measuring instrument

Watch Brown Analog watch Watch accessory Clock

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! Hard to say, specifically. If it’s a solid case, you’ve got more value, obviously. Can we get a better pic of the case back? Usually there’s a pretty clear stamp on the case back of a letter and number code, which will date the watch. N = 60’s, M = 70’s. This watch is probably from that era, it’s configured like Accutron watches from that time period.
Does the watch run?

Yes Watch runs, and back is stamped Bulova 14k

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is as close to that watch as I could find with a limited search. The dial is the same except for the location of the Applied Tuning fork LOGO and Accutron wording. That caseback has that special insignia not often seen on these watches. It's hard to see without better caseback pics. That Tuning fork second-hand may be a replacement also? I would guess that's in the 1970-1973 range (Roughly). MyBulova may have a pic of that watch but I didn't venture over there to look.

Thanks, I found the watch on MyBulova on PG6. Picture and states 1969 Accutron Date & Day AD, MFG 1969
14k Gold Watch & Mesh Band. On the back of mine says 14k Bulova and best I can make out Case Ser#89316.
Going to magnify to make sure, also have not opened yet. It does run. I need value and or replacement value for
a customers Insurance Replacement Policy. Any Ideas on that?? Thanks
View attachment 227072

View attachment 227073

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the watch run?

On the back: 59316 is the number and at the top of back Bulova Symbol and "14k Bulovano" This is watch is stamped

·
Registered
2 Posts
When did Bulova stop making Accutron?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
395 Posts
You work for an insurance company and you're asking a web forum for appraisals of valuable objects? That doesn't seem right to me, and it's not really what we're here for.

·
Super Moderator
173 Posts
Ok, evidently you didn’t read the beginning of post nor the email picture at the left by my name. I own a jewelry store and am trying to help a customer insure a watch he inherited.
Searching the internet, I found your forum but like all forums there is always someone who jumps in with an opinion with no merit
I worked in the jewelry business 25 years ago, and happened to be the person who did all the appraisal work. It involved a ton of research (as you are doing), keen knowledge of the market at the current time, and all the things I'm sure you're aware of as a retailer.

I had to ask a lot of questions up front when a customer wanted an appraisal. Typically, I would do an appraisal for the following:

1) Insurance
2) Replacement
3) Estate

About half the time, the customer wanted an appraisal so they could sell something. If that was the case, I would explain that an appraisal was not going to help them, as the values I would appraise an item for insurance, replacement, or estate were all different.

If you're trying to sell something, it's worth what you can sell it for on the day you decide to sell it.

I'll put my jeweler's hat back on for a second. If my customer presented such a watch to me for "insurance/replacement value", the first response is you can't buy these anymore because they don't make them anymore. So to replace a solid 14KYG gents watch, I would find a replacement value for a "similar" currently available watch.

In other words, if the customer lost the insured watch, the insurance company is not going to find an exact replacement, they would call me to find out what a similar replacement would cost.

And that was 25 years ago, so I've been away from it for some time. My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, your mileage may vary, etc., etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I worked in the jewelry business 25 years ago, and happened to be the person who did all the appraisal work. It involved a ton of research (as you are doing), keen knowledge of the market at the current time, and all the things I'm sure you're aware of as a retailer.

I had to ask a lot of questions up front when a customer wanted an appraisal. Typically, I would do an appraisal for the following:

1) Insurance
2) Replacement
3) Estate

About half the time, the customer wanted an appraisal so they could sell something. If that was the case, I would explain that an appraisal was not going to help them, as the values I would appraise an item for insurance, replacement, or estate were all different.

If you're trying to sell something, it's worth what you can sell it for on the day you decide to sell it.

I'll put my jeweler's hat back on for a second. If my customer presented such a watch to me for "insurance/replacement value", the first response is you can't buy these anymore because they don't make them anymore. So to replace a solid 14KYG gents watch, I would find a replacement value for a "similar" currently available watch.

In other words, if the customer lost the insured watch, the insurance company is not going to find an exact replacement, they would call me to find out what a similar replacement would cost.

And that was 25 years ago, so I've been away from it for some time. My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, your mileage may vary, etc., etc.

Good luck!
Thank you, I try to stay in the jewelry appraisal area but every now and then I try to help a customer. He does not want to sell and specifically asked for Insurance Replacement.
The watch has been in a safety deposit box and going back. My watchmaker did put a battery in to make sure the watch works!
I’ve decided to base the value on similar watches online that have sold value along with gold scrap and the fact it is in very good condition with original box.
I’m thinking $4500 and hope it is good for him.
I also do estate appraisals on jewelry but that isn’t what he asked for.
I did get some helpful info from this forum.

·
Super Moderator
15,850 Posts
Ok, evidently you didn’t read the beginning of post nor the email picture at the left by my name. I own a jewelry store and am trying to help a customer insure a watch he inherited.
Searching the internet, I found your forum but like all forums there is always someone who jumps in with an opinion with no merit
You chided rollerberg2000 for not reading things, but might I point out that you're just as guilty as he was.
Part of the process of joining WTF is to read and agree to the member's Rules of Conduct. Along with respecting the other members, you seem to have ignored the part that says:
9. POLICIES FOR: WATCH RELATED VALUATIONS
  • The WTF does not offer valuations or appraisals, nor do we recommend trying to have your watch valued online. Assessing the value of a watch is dependent on many factors, most of which require qualified persons having access to the watch directly. While members may provide their opinions as to the value of a watch, these are purely their opinions and do not represent the WTF. If you need an value for insurance purposes, contact a qualified watchmaker who is certified for this activity (this varies from country to country), an auction house or a reputable watch dealer.
Now that you are a WTF member, I respectfully request that, in the future, you refrain from using this site as a valuation resource .

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
As far as the watch goes... I am a big fan of J arrow cases and bracelets. The craftsmanship and beauty are really impressive. Compare these J arrow accutrons to any competitive brand of the 60s/70s and they certainly oozed luxury. I wonder how many were sold and how many have been melted over the years. They are a whopper in gold value alone. Unfortunately solid gold accutrons don't sell for much premium above scrap + 10%. I am always perplexed by the insurance question posts since a safety deposit box should be enough. I did read an article recently where a bank's entire set of boxes got wiped out by the feds and folks had to sue them. Why toss money away at insurance for the extremely rare event of a bank heist that has enough time to empty out deposit boxes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry for whoever is offended. Why a customer wants something appraised is not for me to understand. I am in the service business. I also don't know where or what I wrote that might have indicated I was an insurance adjuster nor employee of such. Anyway, again I apologize for those offended. I could not find a place to remove my membership but please do so.
Thank you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts