WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have really enjoyed the friendly and informative atmosphere here at WTF. It seems to be unparalleled to other similar forums.
I inherited the love of time pieces from my grandfather who would show me his Pateks and Langes. When I was recently visiting him to get the
contact info on the guy who cleans his watches (I'm sending in my early 60's Seamaster De Ville to get serviced) he showed me this watch
that he bough in Holland in the early 90's. I had never heard of the brand before so I naturally thought to see if any of the other watch geeks
(endearing term) here knew anything about it. I searched online but could only find a few ebay listings selling the dial, and almost no other info.
I do know that it uses the Valjoux 7750 chronograph movement but that is the extent of my knowledge. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,574 Posts
Hello Mack, and welcome to WTF.
My God I love that watch! It has a nice uncluttered dial that is so hard to design successfully on a chronograph. Congrats on being its new owner!

Do yourself a favor- don't hold your breath waiting for info on MEMOSTART. I believe your going to be the newest winner in WTF's Stump the Panel. :lol:

·
Banned
645 Posts
I wonder if this watch has anything to do with the old Memostar Alarm watch? BTW, I have one of these great alarms, and apparently they were given to new members of the AA (Automobile Association) here in the UK in the 1960's -70's. Watch Analog watch Light Silver Everyday carry

Made by Sicura.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I am really impressed on how simple it looks for a chronograph. Well, if there isn't anyone who knows about it here ill be hard pressed to find much out. I can't believe I can't find anything online!
Thumbs - I looked into memostar a bit but couldn't find any similarities with the memostart. It always brings up memostar in the google search. Thanks for looking into it!

I appreciate the answers!

·
Super Moderator
16,574 Posts
.... I can't believe I can't find anything online! ....
This happens more often than we'd like. My own theory (and I have no evidence to back this up- just prior experience) is that Memostart is NOT the name of the company that made the watch. Rather, it was a company the watch was made for. It was fairly common for small independent watch houses to make watches on "special order" and they would leave the dial intentionally blank. That way the customer could have his own personalization added to the dial. Sort of like a special presentation gift watch.

·
Super Moderator
16,574 Posts
No problem! (And regardless of who made it it contains one of the world's most recognizable and respected chronograph movements. It's a great watch.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, I have really enjoyed the friendly and informative atmosphere here at WTF. It seems to be unparalleled to other similar forums.
I inherited the love of time pieces from my grandfather who would show me his Pateks and Langes. When I was recently visiting him to get the
contact info on the guy who cleans his watches (I'm sending in my early 60's Seamaster De Ville to get serviced) he showed me this watch
that he bough in Holland in the early 90's. I had never heard of the brand before so I naturally thought to see if any of the other watch geeks
(endearing term) here knew anything about it. I searched online but could only find a few ebay listings selling the dial, and almost no other info.
I do know that it uses the Valjoux 7750 chronograph movement but that is the extent of my knowledge. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hi #mackbakker. I also have one, inherited from my father. As #comethunter says its a beautiful timepiece and one to treasure, whatever its value.

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
Hi #mackbakker. I also have one, inherited from my father. As #comethunter says its a beautiful timepiece and one to treasure, whatever its value.
This is a 9+ yr old thread but in any event, I've seen Enicar watches with the 'Memostar' name on them and read that the Sicura Watch Company made these watches. I've also seen an 'Omega Memomatic' . The OP's post shows a "Memostart" watch and the only manufacturing reference i can find is thru the Memotime S.A. Company which was founded as a sub-brand for Corum. The company focused on nautical watches (Regatta timers, Memosail), dive timers (Memodive) and chronographs (Memostart). I suspect this is the company that made the original watch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts