WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ideas for a watch gift for a good friend retiring from the military

I am looking for a gift for a friend that is retiring from the Air Force after 20 years of service. I have a general idea in mind of the design and style but cannot seem to find it. Maybe you can help me out.

_I want it to be within the 36-39mm width range. For some reason, watches have grown too large these past few years. And preferably between 10-14mm thick.
_Looking for either automatic or hand wound.
_Under the $2000 price range, so $800-1500 would be ideal.
_Have a classic face and dial design; nothing new age or modern.
_Have a display back to see the movement.
_I would prefer it have a leather strap with clasp tang.
_I will probably have it inscribed with his initials and dates of military service.
_A bonus would be if it had a day-date display with the days in German instead of English.

If anyone has any ideas please reply or shoot me an e-mail message.

Chris

·
Registered
499 Posts
Luminox has some day/German. Under your price range and they don't have a display back. Fortis is another company to check out, I believe they are in German sometimes. Maybe even a nomos, but I'm not sure. Also check out Hamilton, and glashutte gub. Good luck. You're a good friend...

·
Super Moderator
16,903 Posts
..._Have a display back to see the movement..._I will probably have it inscribed with his initials and dates of military service...
Chris- out of curiosity...
If you want a watch with a display back, where were you thinking of placing the inscription? The back is the traditional place for an inscription and most display backs don't have the room for that sort of thing.

·
Super Moderator
16,903 Posts
Oh, man, that's just way too funny! I dang near blew coffee out my nose when I saw that...
never even thought to double-check the OP post date. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.