WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just joined the message board today. I want to purchase an authentic pilot's watch, or chronograph. I like the larger than normal face, and nothing gold, just steel, or chrome. I bought a watch that I thought was swiss made but found out later that the movement was made in China.. :sad:

I would like to get a nice middle range priced watch, that I can keep and pass down in years to come. Either new or used. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have always loved watches, and am now getting into collecting a few.

Thanks

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Welcome to Watch Talk Forums!

From least expensive to most (on average) in terms of brands commonly known for "flieger" or pilot's style watches:
Christopher Ward
Stowa
Fortis
Nomos
Sinn
IWC
* I'm sure I missed a couple.

Do you have a budget planned? "Middle range price" can be vastly different from person to person. We're happy to help out, and if you see a few you like post pictures and we can offer alternative suggestions.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Breitling has nice tool watches for real pilots....you cant beat the Breitling Emergency for uniqeness.....And any Breitling you buy could be passed on to your children. Stick with Automatics though...not quartz....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input! What about Zeno watches? Does anyone know if anyone is selling a used flieger watch, any brand. I have a budget of $400. ;-( I am not really the most richest person hehe. I do like flieger watches though..

·
Registered
590 Posts
Breitling has nice tool watches for real pilots....you cant beat the Breitling Emergency for uniqeness.....And any Breitling you buy could be passed on to your children. Stick with Automatics though...not quartz....
I have no experience with Breitling but they are Pilots R Us in my book.:D

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Welcome to the boards, and to the sickness known as watch collecting.

For pilot watches you have alot of options. Citizen Skyhawk's are really nice. Christopher Ward's are excellent as well. Almost anyone here can point you in the right direction.

·
Banned
4,527 Posts
Welcome aboard! A pilot watch usually takes on a specific look. Some are more Flieger oriented, others have more of a Military Look.

Here is my Fliegerish Watch.

Here is my Military themed model:

Pilot themed watches are probably my favorites...lmk your budget and I will make a few recommendations but you have some great options already listed.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Does this Seiko qualify as a Flieger? It seems to fit the description, but I haven't heard it described as such, more as a 'military' style.
Anyone clarify this for me? It's definitely within the thread poster's budget.
Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is kinda what I had in mind, has anyone heard of Zeno? Altough I know its more pricy, but the styling on these watches are what I am after. I love the numbering font on this piece. Also I would like the numbers and the hands of the dial to glow at night.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
This is kinda what I had in mind, has anyone heard of Zeno? Altough I know its more pricy, but the styling on these watches are what I am after. I love the numbering font on this piece. Also I would like the numbers and the hands of the dial to glow at night.

Zeno are very nice, if you want a nice Flieger watch, Junkers, yes as in the old german WW2 plane maker, makes some nice Fliger style watches.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
So, what makes a watch a pilot/aviator/flieger?
From my understanding, and what I have learned, is usually a tachymeter of some sort on the inner and or outer bezel, sometimes chronograph, a larger dial and or larger leather strap/stainless steel bracelet. It's more of a specific look as well, I have seen some flight watches have multiple time zones.

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
I usually say it's a clean, well lumed dial with large numbers. I would think a pilot wants to see the time at a glance. I must be wrong though, because there are some very busy chronograph dials out there called pilot's watches. Even though I've owned the Breitling for a year now, I never truly believed I owned a pilot's watch until I got the IWC Spitfire. Maybe the style I'm talking about is considered a "flieger" which is different than just the general term "pilot's watch". :confused1: I guess I'm as uncertain as you!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Pilot watch ?

If I think about "pilot watch" , my mind always goes directly to the shape of IWC big pilot watch , including the strap version... ,

i have B&R 01 instruments which mimicks the clock instruments in the cockpit of older plane .. but im not really sure it can b called a pilot watch :001_wub:

a friend Pilot of mine even says that he hardly ever check his watch during any flight as the plane has a very sophisticated time-ing instruments a kind of "redundant" type , which i have no idea what he was talking about :001_rolleyes:

happy watch hunting
Pete J

·
Registered
371 Posts
So, from the replies it appears that it's more of about the look than it is about the functionality? I would have guessed that a Pilots watch would have a compass on it. It sort of makes sense to me that it would be a useful feature for flying.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
So, from the replies it appears that it's more of about the look than it is about the functionality? I would have guessed that a Pilots watch would have a compass on it. It sort of makes sense to me that it would be a useful feature for flying.
You have a really good idea there, but now it's more of a look, some do feature a slide rule function, mostly seiko. Now in todays technology driven industry, airplanes have such complicated and advanced aerospace eletrical equpiment, it's not reallt demed neccessary.

A big joke with pilot's between each other, now in todays world is "we have to fly this thing today".

So in the long and short of it, it;s about the look, same as with chronograph's and timing, not too many people actually use their chronograph functions. It's more of a look thing.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts