WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last 2 weeks, at least 3 very nice WGF Websters have sold on eBay from $150 to $210. I won one and bid on all three. There is a less nice one currently on eBay that is now up over $500. It seems that something might be not quite right. The listing is 250934573239. Any opinions or guesses why this one is so high?

·
Registered
103 Posts
In the last 2 weeks, at least 3 very nice WGF Websters have sold on eBay from $150 to $210. I won one and bid on all three. There is a less nice one currently on eBay that is now up over $500. It seems that something might be not quite right. The listing is 250934573239. Any opinions or guesses why this one is so high?
That's easy! It must not be a Chinese copy! :lol:

No, but really, that is very odd. Maybe a combination of several people REALLY wanting it? Maybe some shill bidding thrown in also? This is mere conjecturing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Huh?

I must be missing something also...

This one has some dents on the back, and the case doesn't seem to snap closed too tightly on the crown side.

The other ones in the past two weeks were much cleaner examples and the final bid amounts were quite reasonable.

The interesting thing is that there is at least one very experienced bidder bidding on this one. After looking at the bidding, it looks like two people are in a bidding war, and that's all it really takes to have a runaway auction.

Also the seller is stating that this watch is a military watch. I've never heard of Websters being military, but maybe that part of the description is helping pull in military collectors (though I would think seasoned military collectors would recognize that this is not a military watch).

I've got an older Webster sitting in my repair box that looks better than this. I may dust it off and out it out for sale!

-Chris

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I think I paid $250 for mine from Bryan. Except for a small spot of case wear on the side from previous openings (regrettable, but not uncommon), it's in much nicer condition, I think, and has the original crown.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is the example I just picked-up. The seller kindly included the hands shown as well as what I consider to be a correct set of arrow/spear hands (identical to the pair in my Glenn Curtiss). The back retains the original finish... and for less than 1/3rd the price of this one on eBay. At $520 I think something is rotten in Denmark. (I need to get a photo of my Webster beside the Glenn Curtiss.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts