WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Of the 3 measurements you mention, I think 50 mm is a definite. Even the most hard core vintage fans can wear a 42 mm watch on occasion, and several of us have them for beach/beater/vacation duty (Vintagehamiltons and me for instance). Anything 46 mm or above looks ludicrous on me, and the lugs have to be really short or I have a hard time pulling off even 43 mm.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good point...

Of the 3 measurements you mention, I think 50 mm is a definite. Even the most hard core vintage fans can wear a 42 mm watch on occasion, and several of us have them for beach/beater/vacation duty (Vintagehamiltons and me for instance). Anything 46 mm or above looks ludicrous on me, and the lugs have to be really short or I have a hard time pulling off even 43 mm.
I guess it is also related to which watches we started collecting... Patek, Rolex, Omega, IWC, Tag, Panerai, and exc..a large range of sizes. :001_smile:

Arthur

·
Registered
132 Posts
Arthur-
I have recently come to the conclusion that 40mm is just right and what I am most comfortable wearing. I do have a 42mm recently acquired "beater/vacation" watch that I wear from time to time. But to answer your original post question......38 & 40mm ok in my book, 50mm too big!

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I like 38mm to 42 but will go as big as 45mm. 45 is only for sports watches but 38 to 42 is my happy zone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's tough to generalize an answer because everyone has different wrists. Personally, I have an 8.25" wrist, so a 45mm fits me like a 40mm may fit someone with a smaller wrist. Even with bigger wrists, my limit is 45mm.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I agree wrist size has a lot to to with it...got girl wrists? Wear small watches.

I see way too many watches on skinny feminine wrists that look like dinner plates.

The same goes for these 34mm and less on manly wrists...I know if it was 1941 it would be fine but to me it looks strange at the very least...not to mention reading it with my old eyes.

I think my 44mm are pushing it...my wrists are now 7 3/4" and it's winter here so I expect by summer they will be 8" and continue to get bigger.

Now for my hypocrisy: My G-Shocks and Pathfinders.

Why? Well for one as Dennis always mentions; crown digs into my wrist. These watches have no crowns and they are very light (plastic)...no crown digging into my wrist, big and easy to read...so there, I'm a hypocrite :001_tongue:

Recently I bought this at a whopping 52mm; I returned it although it was sooo cool (I'm a sucker for gadget watches) maybe I'll review it....but I returned it because the crown dug into my wrist.

Someone said "wear it above your wrist bone"...well my wrist bones don't protrude out because I don't have girl wrists...plus you have to crank the strap or adjust the bracelet so tight it would leave marks...I don't like it tight although I frequently see that on wrist shots...I don't know how someone stands it that tight.

Lastly the shape of your wrist; is it round? or is it flat? A large flat wrist will handle these big watches much better than the same diameter round wrist.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I have two sisters in law who have large, 2+ carat diamonds and, while beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think they are gaudy and have an element of "look at me."
I think any watch over 40mm has that same element on my 7 1/2 inch wrist. I really like about 36mm but will wear up to 40mm.
Anything bigger on me would be a Flava Flav impersonation.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I would have said anything between 35-40, but my last 2 purchases were 44mm and 42mm and I am enjoying both of them.

Not all watches of equal size feel the same on the wrist so the decision will be purely on each individual model.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
I like 38mm to 42 but will go as big as 45mm. 45 is only for sports watches but 38 to 42 is my happy zone.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I agree with a few prior posts...

Depends on the size wrist of the wearer AND the brand/model of the watch...

That said, I'm also most comfortable in the 38 to 42mm zone.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have 9 inch wrists but I still feel that anything bigger than 42mm looks a little too much. I used to think that smaller than 40mm was too small but I now have a couple of vintage watches so I am getting used to a smaller watch. Personally I feel most comfortable in the 38 - 42 mm zone.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
36 to 42 mm for me...

but my Lacher is bigger. So much for rules...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Whatever someone wants to wear is fine with me.

Well, except 50 seems a little extreme....

I wore watches up until about 1973. They were universally very inexpensive, and probably small by today's standards. Then I didn't wear a watch again until 2009, when I couldn't leave the Seiko SD Chrono at the store when I made the mistake of trying it on. It seemed huge at the time, and now seems fine; any watch smaller than about 39 seems ridiculously tiny, to me. My IWC, to my eye, is the most beautiful dressy watch at or below that price point available, and it's not small (41mm). I don't have large wrists, but I'm a tall person, so I think that makes a difference.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. If you like it, and don't worry about what others will think, wear it.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I'm in the 40-45 camp, depending. Although I do have a 50mm and it wears really well. 40-42 for dress, above for fun. I just can't wear a sub-40 watch. But as with anything, it is up to the person and depends on their own size, dress sense, age etc etc. Fun to chat about tho! :001_tt2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts