WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Super Moderator
17,344 Posts
In all the years that inexpensive watches have been designed with young consumers in mind,
it's hard to believe that ANY design has not already been thought of.

Reactions: the3dgm

· Registered
46 Posts
You're no doubt correct. Don't know for sure if the Android Horizon model qualifies as an inexpensive watch though.
I consider a watch with a street price under $500 USD inexpensive and I'm not alone in this. Doesn't mean low quality, just inexpensively priced. A "Rich Man's Watch" is generally thought of as one with a $1000 USD or higher street price new, but that threshold has been around for many years. A Swiss made workhorse chronograph with ETA 7750 or Sellita SW500 movement inside can easily command a $1500 street price (price a basic Fortis or Hamilton mechanical chronograph online). You can find them at clearance prices under $1000 but it's quite difficult and requires considerable luck (typically "new old stock" being cleared out under cost, aka NOS). Check out the prices on Omega's basic dress watches such as a stainless steel Aqua Terra or DeVille (with no precious metals). Omega is considered a "prestige" brand, but not a "luxury" brand which would be much more expensive (e.g. Blancpain or Brequet). Similarly, look at Longines street prices. Even a Bulova Accu-Swiss pushes toward the $1000 mark (formerly their Accutron line, but not the new Accutron II line).

Should give you some perspective about the range of realistic wrist watch street prices (not the bogus grossly over-inflated MSRPs some brands tout). I will grant you the mainstream North American men's watch buyers wouldn't spend more than $300 for a watch, with most sales under $200 and the overwhelming majority of them battery powered quartz from a discount department store. Makes the mechanical Android models with the Miyota 9100 and 9015 high beat, and the models with the extremely robust Seiko Instruments NH35 and NH36 mid beat movements superb values. Android deserves great credit for the quality watches they design and assemble in the sub $500 USD market.

I've not seen anything exactly like the Horizon, but have seen some with similarities. It's difficult to come up with anything completely original, but with that said, Android isn't doing "homages" to the specific styles of certain highly recognizable luxury brands.

John

· Super Moderator
17,344 Posts
Norm, technically it's okay to tell him where to go (no, I didn't mean it like THAT!). Just don't make the link a clickable one, that's all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.