WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I started posting photos of toy dogs and watches, I should have said hi. I look forward to discussing Omegas from time to time, and I'm sure this forum is a vast resource. I'm trying to think of a good Speedmaster/moon trivia question to get everyone thinking, but I have a feeling many of you know all the answers. Hmmm. How about this instead:

In my other post I mentioned the Aldrin Speedmaster, possibly the most sought-after watch in the world, certainly among Speedmaster collectors. If that watch were to surface in the hands of a private owner, and its whereabouts became known to NASA, Aldrin, the US govt, etc, who is the rightful owner of the watch? I am sure this has been discussed before, but it could make for interesting discourse. Opinions?

I'll begin by stating that NASA is the rightful owner UNLESS Aldrin can produce a document assigning ownership to him. Without such a document, claiming to own the watch would be much like a soldier claiming to own his issued sidearm or other small arms.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I wonder if the guy who's wearing it knows what it is ?? I can see some Egyptian cab driver wearing it , enjoying the compliments and tapping it a few times a day to keep it running!

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my experience in Egypt...

the cab driver wouldn't need to tap it....the constant jerking from side to side and fast stopping in the terrifying swirl of Cairo traffic would probably provide enough jostling to keep it going. Wait, maybe you meant an Egyptian cab driver in NYC. In that case, change "Cairo" to "NYC" in my remark above.

·
Registered
177 Posts
the cab driver wouldn't need to tap it....the constant jerking from side to side and fast stopping in the terrifying swirl of Cairo traffic would probably provide enough jostling to keep it going. Wait, maybe you meant an Egyptian cab driver in NYC. In that case, change "Cairo" to "NYC" in my remark above.
After all the tests that NASA did on the Omega Speedie, temperature, shock, humidity, decompression... I fear being worn on the wrist of an Egyptian cab driver would have been its undoing !!.:scared:

·
Registered
598 Posts
After all the tests that NASA did on the Omega Speedie, temperature, shock, humidity, decompression... I fear being worn on the wrist of an Egyptian cab driver would have been its undoing !!.:scared:
No joke...a taxi trip from the Cairo Hilton to the Mena House during evening rush hour in 1999 remains the most thrilling, terrifying, death-defying ride I have ever been on, including anything in any amusement park.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think my most thrilling ride...

was anywhere in the Philippines. The roads never had lines, and there didn't seem to be any rules. The drivers, like NYC cab drivers, never seemed to flinch, though. They had total confidence in something. Whether on a jeepney, bus, cab, car...you name it...in the Philippines, every ride I can remember was...well...memorable. Lou, when you were in Cairo, were you shocked to see how close the pyramids at Giza/Sphinx are with relation the city? The first time I saw the great pyramid in the distance over the top of a billboard for some Egyptian soft drink, I was amazed. I had always pictured the pyramids as being way out in the middle of nowhere. In truth, they may be within the city limits of Cairo. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
No joke...a taxi trip from the Cairo Hilton to the Mena House during evening rush hour in 1999 remains the most thrilling, terrifying, death-defying ride I have ever been on, including anything in any amusement park.
LOL, I know exactly what you are talking about -- the mid-traffic donkey carts often added to the fun! I remember a ride to the Semiramis Intercontinental from the Khan el-Khalili market on my first visit in 1995 that was pretty scarry. I also had the pleasure of staying there in September 1997 the day a German tour bus exploded between the hotel and the Cairo Museum. From then on I stayed at the Marriott (Omar Khayyam) without any problems. I also had the pleasure of being in Guatemala in the summer of 1993 during their civil war -- not the best time to drive to Chichicastenango. Some Chinese drives were also... interesting. :thumbup1: But as I live near Detroit, almost any day can be more dangerous. :lol:

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My last trip to Detroit was

with a pal to visit the Ford Museum and that park that Ford created with all the old buildings from all over the country. It was a nice trip, but a couple of the areas we passed through looked much more dangerous than any 3rd world slum. I hope Detroit continues to grow stronger and regain its place among the greatest industrial cities in the world.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts