WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

My wife and I are currently vacationing in the Sanibel Island area and for those familiar with the island, you probably heard of Congress Jewelers, an authorized Rolex dealer. Naturally while my wife is looking at jewelry, I drool over the Rolex display and always strike up a conversation about any new timepieces they have. I own a 2003 2/tone Sub with blue dial and my interests have always focused on Submariners although my taste in timepieces has changed slightly and prefer larger case sizes with 44mm being my sweet spot on a 7 1/2 in wrist. Anyways, I am looking at their brand new Sea Dweller Deep Sea and love the 44mm size and 17 or 18mm case thickness. I tried it on and all of you know the moment when its on your wrist and want to take it home. To my suprise, I wanted this watch and even my wife saw it on me and surprising said, I really like that! So I ask the usual questions about the watch and then the price. Are you kidding me...........$12K? Now I realize there will be a markup because its Sanibel Island, but I thought this watch would be in the
$7-8K range. How is it that a SS/Black dial Sea Dweller priced similar to the 2/tone blue dial Submariner? Is it the over-engineering of the sea dweller that has pushed the price up on this model or should I be looking at other authorized dealers for a better deal?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Gary

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
You're right and wrong Gary. Yes, the price should be in the $7-8K. But it's not and the actual price is indeed $12K, even in the US. In fact it's $12,050 to be exact.

The excuse will be the over engineering of the case to make be able to withstand 12' ft. of pressure. I've owned the DeepSea, had probably the 1st or 2nd out there when it was 1st introduced. Like you I loved the size of it and couldn't wait to get it. It lasted all of a month in my collection. It was just too thick, and the domed crystal reflected so much light reading it at anything other than straight on was impossible.

In my opinion if you really want it look for preowned. I don't know how much they're going for, but you'll get a better price than new. IMO the current price of the Deep Sea is way too much and nowhere near worth it. Some will argue, and that's fine. But to ME the $12K for a 3-hand stainless steel watch is WAY too much.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Scott. I am use to seeing the price tags of Rolex's, so I usually don't experience sticker shock, but I have to agree with you that this price is a bit much for a SS/Black model regardless of "depth" bragging rights. I'll casually look at the pre-owned market with a trusted seller and would expect to only pay 1/2 the price of this new Sea Dweller. Thanks for pointing out the glare caused by the crystal. I didn't notice that indoors but will take notice next time I try one on.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
'Way' overpriced at $12,000 considering the relatively basic caliber and SS material.
Yes,the case and the bracelet are engineered superbly but not for that price.
If you really want it - look at pre-owned. I just helped my non-WIS friend find
a very nice 'like new' piece for $8100 for his birthday. Still a chunk of change for 'that'
watch but the good news is that at that price he will get back every penny should
he decide to sell it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.