WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my first watch that costs more than $25, but I think it's broke! I bought an Emporio Armoni AR4647 online and received it Thursday last week. I wore it once out on the town and the auto winde works great, but when I leave it sit in the case on the dresser, it will stop ticking after 4-6 hours, and needs wound. I thought these kind of watches could sit for 24-40 hours without being wound? I will manually wind it until I feel a little tension, then stop because I read that if you over winde it, it could break the spring or something. But I've also heard that the newer watches have a clutch that prevents damage. Maybe I'm not winding it enough? In ignorance, when I first set the watch, I wound it backwards just a hair to align the second an minute hand together. Could this have broken it? Or could it have been broken out of the box? It's a skeleton watch, so I can see the spring, when it stops ticking, it looks very unwound, and after I winde it, the spring still looks less wound than when I first got it but that's where I feel tension, so I stop. Should I try to send it back to the seller? Should I go to a jeweler to get it fixed, and if so how much would that cost? Any help would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

thanks for the input, both of you! I gave it 40 turns, which was MUCH more than what I was doing previously. The spring looks much, much more wound, you can't see gaps anymore in it. I just got home from work, I work 12 hour night shift, I'm excited to wake up and see if it's still ticking! my bet is, I wasn't winding it enough lol. At least I hope that's what the problem was.

It would be a shame to return it, it's a requirement for my degree that I have a watch on at all times (I'm going into respiratory therapy and now work at the hospital as somewhat of a "junior" RT). And I got so used to wearing cheap throw away watches at work that, when I would go out, I would feel strange without a watch! It's really a beautiful watch, I'm very happy with the design, and I'm happy I was able to get some help in solving this problem... Thanks again for your help!!! if it's still having problems, I'm sure I'll be posting on here :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have pictures? They're always nice to see!
When I woke up, 10 hours after winding it fully, it was still ticking away. Unfortunately my Mac doesn't seem to work with this sites attachment manager, I have a really nice photo I took a few days ago too :( Maybe there is a way to upload it, but I'm still fairly new to Mac computers. I'll post a link to the watch in the online store!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe the movement is Chinese or Japanese (can't really tell).

Are you in the market for new watches too?
I believe it's Chinese, it says it was made in china, which is the only major disappointment I have with it. I wish I could get either a europian or American made watch but I know they cost so much more.

I just got this watch less than a week ago so I'm not really in the market, I am a poor college student after all haha. But I would like to buy a new watch for work next month or so. Right now I'm just using a cheap timex, the band is getting frayed and the plastic is looking rough. Because I work around a lot of disinfectants, bodily fluids and things of that nature, it's really rough on whatever I wear. With this next work watch, I only want to spend $100 to $150 max. I was thinking of something from the g-shock series, they're sporty and a bit more more every day. But I would like to get a nice watch in a similar price range of the Armoni watch I just bought, but with a gold color. But I probably won't be getting that for at least 6 months, schools about to start back up and I won't be able to work as much. I'll get them eventually!! haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts