WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told myself I was going to buy just one watch this year, that one watch being the M24 I bought this January. I did really well, until this weekend... I caved, pre-ordered a M53 Bronze. I've had the M53 on my mind since December, just couldn't resist any longer.

Now I'm looking for a supplier of Bronze pre-v buckles. I think, once I find one, guess I might go ahead and install it on the Greg Stevens Crazy Horse II strap I have on my M24.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Andrew, I saw those... Unfortunately, they're flat, not curved. IMO, those aren't true pre-v buckles.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Whoa, I found just what I wanted... unfortunately the buckles are a tad over $143 (shipped from Italy). OUCH! :scared:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Have you seen [Non-sponsor link removed - do not post links to any non-sponsors per the forum rules, thanks!]?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Have you seen [Non-sponsor link removed - do not post links to any non-sponsors per the forum rules, thanks!]?
That's the buckle post #2 is referring to. I posted a link to that buckle, but it was removed. Not too sure why... I'm pretty sure none of the WTF sponsors sell a bronze buckle. :confused1:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's no big deal, the buckles that guy sells aren't pre-v buckles anyway. They're flat, not curved.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It's no big deal, the buckles that guy sells aren't pre-v buckles anyway. They're flat, not curved.
Five minutes with a vice, some files...and they will be :wink:

As to the linking rule, I think it must be applied using a little common sense, reasonableness and discretion, rather than insensitive zeal. I fully appreciate the rationale for the rule -- sponsors pay to keep the lights on. But I can't see how sponsors can ever be upset by a reference to a product, i.e., bronze buckles, that none of them sell. That becomes somewhat illogical, and stands to defeat the purpose for which we participate in these forums, i.e., information exchange. Just sayin'

·
Registered
750 Posts
Five minutes with a vice, some files...and they will be :wink:

As to the linking rule, I think it must be applied using a little common sense, reasonableness and discretion, rather than insensitive zeal. I fully appreciate the rationale for the rule -- sponsors pay to keep the lights on. But I can't see how sponsors can ever be upset by a reference to a product, i.e., bronze buckles, that none of them sell. That becomes somewhat illogical, and stands to defeat the purpose for which we participate in these forums, i.e., information exchange. Just sayin'
Well said, timbo. My sentiments exactly.

I'm pretty familiar with all the sponsors on each forum that I post on regularly and when asked for a product recommendation, I'll always try my best to direct their business to a forum sponsor. In this particular case, none of the forum sponsors sell bronze buckles so really, what is the harm?

Anyway, sorry for the semi-thread derailment OP. Regarding bronze buckles, your choices are pretty limited as far as I know. There's the 90,00€ bronze buckle I'm pretty sure you found, there's the flat bronze buckle (cheapest you'll find), there's a Russian source for bronze buckles, and there's a Taiwanese source for more ornate, handcrafted bronze buckles. Unfortunately, that's about as specific as I can probably be on this forum; good luck in your search!

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hey guys,

Yes, it is the rules. I know you may not like the rules, and it's OK not to. But the rules are what the rules are - until they're changed. As of now the rules of the forum are, and have been, no non-sponsor links or discussions. In the threads or PM - period. Even for products none of the sponsors sell. Does it make sense? Each person can make their opinion on it. I personally don't agree either, but I don't get to make those decisions. But again, it's the rules and we ask everyone to abide by the rules, even the ones we may not like or think makes 100% sense.

Now as I said, these are the rules until their changed. With the change in ownership we have raised some of the more "overly-restrictive" rules to the new owners for possibly 'lightening'. We'll see what they come back with, but until then... Well it is what it is and we do ask everyone to abide...

By the way, I provided the above to let you know we are raising some of these questions and your concerns are not being ignored. The discussions on them are private, so they won't be discussed here. Please don't turn this thread into a 'piling on' that the rule needs changed. It goes without saying every member will probably agree the rules on this should be lightened. If you want to 'voice' your support feel free to 'like' this so the owner can see your opinion without the 8 pages of replies to read thru.

Thanks! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
OK guys, I have some good news for you.

We are 'relaxing' some of the reins of non-sponsor discussions. Now, up front I'll say this is not a free-for-all. The sponsors here are important, and we wouldn't be were we are without them. But it's also understood we don't have sponsors who sell every item we may be interested in. One of the key factors will be asking yourself before posting something should be, "does this step on one of our sponsors"? If so, then it probably shouldn't be posted. If not, then it's probably OK.

So you now have the 'power' to discuss some non-sponsors. Now remember, "with power comes responsibility". The admin team will still review non-sponsor information, and make judgement calls on what is and isn't allowed. And we shouldn't just be blanketing the forum with non-sponsor information. But if use come common sense, and try to promote our sponsors whenever possible and only share non-sponsors when we have no other options, it should work well for all. This may not be black and white, since judgement can be subjective. But the hope is the cons of someone possibly disagreeing their post crossed a line when a mod edits it will be far outweighed by the pros of being able to discuss items a bit more freely.

Of course blatant or intention posting of non-sponsors for the purpose of simply self promoting or advertizing a specific site over & over will still be against the rules and repeat offenders subject to infractions. As is any non-sponsor links in signatures, etc. But again, if we use common sense here this should be a big plus for everyone.

:thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Great application of common sense. Thank you

Reactions: Scott D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Crazy, I didn't realize there were rules like this, I've been to many forums and never run into any that had that kind of rule. I'll be more careful

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The deed is done, I just ordered this one:

Ah the Di Stefano buckle... I know that one, problem is that it isn't made of CuSn8
So, it will not match the case of the LT, but obviously it will look better than the stock PVD bronze toned buckle.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Lolittle, NICE buckle!!! Looks good! :thumbup1:

I bet once it arrives the wait for the M53 will start to get even harder! :scared:

Crazy, I didn't realize there were rules like this, I've been to many forums and never run into any that had that kind of rule. I'll be more careful
Yup, there were... But again, it's been changed and that should be better for the community as a whole. Just remember to ask yourself if this post completes or steps on a sponsor, and if the answer is no than you're good.

And, though many know this, if you don't know all the sponsors we have, you can click the "Sponsor" link on the top menu bar, then click "Display Alphabetically" to see them all and a link to their page all in one spot. Even after 6 or 7 years I still find some new cool things browsing thru them now & then.... :thumbup1:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah the Di Stefano buckle... I know that one, problem is that it isn't made of CuSn8
Do you know what it is made of?

So, it will not match the case of the LT, but obviously it will look better than the stock PVD bronze toned buckle.
That's how I'm looking at it. I don't need a perfect match, as the buckle will get more abuse than the watch head anyway, which will affect the level and type of patina. I know a CuSn8 buckle would add some cost to the M53 I pre-ordered, but it BEGS to be fitted with a non-tapered 24mm strap with a real bronze buckle...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bet once it arrives the wait for the M53 will start to get even harder! :scared:
That's all too true! :sad:

Oh well, I plan to wear it on one of my custom straps, attached to whichever Lum-Tec I decide to wear that particular day. I'm dying to see how it ages with daily use. I know it won't match brushed SS or Tungsten Carbide, but it will look good on my straps (especially after it gets some patina going).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts