WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - a lurker has joined. Learned much here, thanks.
I have had my SMP 2254.50 for 8 months now and I love it - can't imagine a time when it will not be on my wrist. A couple of things I've learnt are:

- I am lucky - if I keep the watch on my wrist 24 hours a day, it will keep astoundingly good time - losing a fraction of a second per day mostly. Interestingly, if I take it off at night it gains about a second or two per night. This means I can regulate it easily and precisely. I dread having to get this one serviced - it will be hard to duplicate this regulation! I wonder if others have found this to be true?

- I read somewhere that the green synthetic abrasive found as kitchen scourers (the original version called Scotchbrite I think) is the thing to use to remove scraches and marks on the satin parts of the strap, like the clasp. Used dry and being careful to move it only 'with' the original satin texture, never across it, this works so good. After cleaning up the clasp (I am a bit heavy on it wear-wise) it looks like new every time. I keep a little piece in my wallet!

Happy and peaceful Christmas folks.

Roger

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Greetings Roger

A very warm Christmas Welcome to WTF and OMEGALand.

Glad you found us here and indeed that you enjoy your 2254.50. It's such a classic so as you can imagine, none of us are surprised that you love this watch. We do too :thumbup1:

You'll find that watches will exhibit timekeeping characteristics depending on how they are stored or indeed used. With this in mind and as you've discovered, you can fine-tune the time-keeping of your watch.

Now for the other thing..... the metal scratchy bit. Ummmmmmnnnn..... it's not my scene I'm afraid as you'll know through my various posts here and in our ole' house. The more courageous among us do venture down that avenue. As for me, I watch where I place my wrist so my watch does not come in harm's way. I'll therefore leave any discussions on experiences you may have in this regard to my braver fellows on the forum. The thought of taking that anywhere near my watch scares me stiff :eek:

Hope you'll be able to join in the daily fun and talk we have here friend.

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Greeting Roger.

Our esteemed Omega Leader, Mr Houston (aka Zin, HoustinZin), won't even go 100 yds of a puddle for fear of getting his Speedy wet, so the sponge thing, is his idea of a nightmare. :biggrin:

The SMP in nearly all of it's guises is a stunner. I have the 2531.80 and I just adore it. I've had it just over a year and can now wear it in total enjoyment. I've learnt to live with the scratches and tiny dings. Heck, I only check its accuracy once a fortnight or so now. Those early days of ownership are the hardest when the watch is bought brand new. The scratches may as well have been done by this even though they are only tiny.

Try and learn to live with the battle scars, it will make your ownership a much more pleasurable time.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
RogueBrit:

To begin with, WELCOME TO WTF!!!

No doubt you will find this board quite interesting, as we have multiple forums, each with its own bunch of characters.

Have you seen our FAQ yet? http://watchtalkforums.info/forums/f...splay.php?f=12

Take about 30 seconds to read, and explains the forum.

If you are intersted in posting pictures, and we love to post here, check out Mr. Houston's Quick and Easy way to post. Guaranteed Success!!

POSTING PICS

Posting pictures is very easy. Here's what you do -

1. Register with a picture host like photobucket.com
This is a free service for up to 1,000 images.

2. Once registered, use the choose or browse function on your photobucket homepage to locate the image you wish to post, from your hard drive

PLEASE REMEMBER to set the maximum size of the image
800 x 600 is best
Anything else would make viewing and accessing the page for users difficult.

3. Click SELECT and then UPLOAD

4. Once uploaded, simply copy the fourth option under each image on your photobucket homepage and paste it into the body of your text here. This fourth link is the Image Tag.

If you have any questions at all, you have a few options too:

Just post a thread and ask! We answer a wide range here and everyone is willing to help anyone out. For stuff not covered by watches, you can post in the Community Forum.

You can also send an Administrator/Moderator a PM (Private Message) to do that, just click on the person's name, and then select private message.

So, put your seat back in an upright position, tray back in place, and strap yourself in and enjoy WTF!!!

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Ho Ho Ho

You fuhnee guy Mike

Thankfully my watch and I were nowhere near that couldron :eek:

:D:D:D

Be well now pal and best to your pistol-packing missus

ZIN

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yo, Roger...nice name! :001_smile:

I'm working hard on my OCD and have promised myself that I will only put the Scotchbrite to my clasps no more often than yearly. It'll be difficult as I sweat the smudges and fine marks, but I'm gonna do it! I really am. Honest to God, I am. Really, really , really am gonna do it that way. Promise! Whew! I hope I've convinced myself. :001_tongue:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
The title of this thread is I Love My SMP yet there isn't one picture of one. So here's mine

and yes, I love it too :001_smile:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Mr. RogueBrit, I too find my 2254 to be extremely accurate and almost within the specs you've described. It's hard to not wear it every day! I'm wearing nine now. I must say you have it bad if you keep scotchbrite in your wallet! You gotta love that!

·
Registered
13 Posts
BTW, Mr. Terry (diver88) should show up soon and may even share with us how he keeps those clasps looking like they just left the AD's display.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
I'm definitely hanging up my camera. You guys are putting my meagre skills ( or lack of them ;) ) to shame. I invite that Terry Diver onto the admin team and he shows me up - Huh!!

Only j/k pals

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks for the picture Donny :thumbup1:

Y'all have a nice weekend now

ZIN

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi!

Just going back to the accuracy thing for a minute. I actually found that my 2537.80 wasn't that great for accuracy for the first 5 years of it's life. I didn't measure it exactly but I have noticed that since it was serviced in July it has been as near perfect as I could ever expect.

I wondered if anyone else has had this experience?

I also had it fully refurbed and was absolutley manic about keeping it scratch free to the extent that I put it back in it's box and vowed not to wear it. I thought my PO with it's rubber strap was a better bet.

I couldn't do it though. I love this watch so much and the scratches are just something I'll have to put up with. I don't have the courage for the Scotchbrite I'm afraid.

Daniel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts