I like to know its worth or value

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Twitchy 
#1 · (Edited)
Watch Font Material property Circle Paper
Font Material property Handwriting Paper Paper product
Font Material property Paper Parallel Pattern
Book Font Publication Science Paper
Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Finger

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not looking to sell the watch. I just want to know what it is worth. So I can decide how I should wear the watch.
I inherited this watch when my father passed away about a year and a half ago. Since I never saw him wear the watch in the last 10 years I thought I
should have it looked at. I took the watch to an authorized Rolex repair shop. After cleaning, replacing the plastic crystal and the bezel. They said it was
a good watch and to bring it back in a few years for another tune up. The "tune-up" was over $700! The crystal has scratches on it now, since I wear it every day.

What I have is a:
Rolex GMT Master SS/black 1962

purchased at:
Artland Watch Co.
62A Nathan Rd.
Kowloon HK

on 31 May 1962. Dad was on leave from his first tour in Vietnam.

I have the original paperwork including:
1. Bereaux Suisses (Controle Officiel De La Marche Des Chronometres)
2. Rolex Superlative Chronometer( No XXXXXX) Guarantee.........how long is the guarantee good for?

Any Ideas of Value?

nwflbimmer@yahoo.com

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Firstly welcome to the Rolex vinatge area...and I have some good and not so good news

about your GMT.

The positive aspect of this GMT which you own is that it has the original certificate or document corresponding with the serial and model numbers , and huge deal in the world of vintage Rolex. The instruction manual is also big plus. If you have the original box, you have a full set. It is a pointed guard GMT, they are on the rare side. The square guard is the more ubiquitous variant.

Now the not so good news. It looks to me that the original gloss gold gilt font dial from 1962 has been replaced out for possibly a service dial and hands.
In the vintage world of Rolex that kills the total value of the watch. Original Dial in a vintage sport modals can increase the total value of a watch by 50% or more. But the watch has an original Rolex (so be it not the correct year for the watch) but an authentic dial.

I would put this watch between $4,000 to 5,000. But with the correct dial, hands, and insert we are looking at $8,000 to $10,000 for this GMT.

One other notion, look below at my early GMT collection for dial examples, All are from 1961-1964. Two of the three have the outer chapter ring gold gilt dial.

I hope I was able to help, Arthur

#6 ·
So if I was able to obtain original gloss gold gilt font dial and hands it would increase the value of the watch?
BTW I do have the original box as well. I was trying to look over the gaurantee but, was unable to locate the
duration of it. How long were the gaurantee normally for?

I think maybe I should look for one of the boxes that keeps the watch wound. It seems to me that a $4-5000
watch should not be worn on a daily basis. Anyone know were I can find a quality replicate of this watch (please
don't shoot me sir) that I could wear instead?

Thank You
Paul

#7 ·
Paul

Are you referring to the new service warrantee or the original guarantee which has been up since 1963..and please wear the watch in order to keep the oils from drying up in the caliber and winding module.

I have a watch rotation program that every week I put on a different vintage watch.

Just be careful when you do activities. No rough stuff. :lol:

Arthur

#8 ·
Hi Arthur
Yes I was refering to the original gaurantee. how long was it good for? When I looked at the owners manual,
it stated that the gaurantee should be included with the watch when taken to a repair center.

where can I locate the original hands and gilted ring for my watch? I suppose the repair center can install
them on my watch. I would like to retore it to original condition. I imagine those were removed when my father
purchased the watch. The gilted items might draw too much attention in a war zone.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.