WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......I took photos of this last group of watches in a big ole giant hurry this afternoon ......just before I got them off to Jerry for their check ups and "oh please make it work " and had trouble with my settings for some reason ......so ...sorry for the photos ....

.....I have been waiting and waiting for this one to get here......I think it is just stunning ....simple and classy, and in beautiful condition, and with a pillow back ...my favorite kind ....( looks just like a bubble back back, but Rolex owners pillary me when I try to call it that ....heh heh) .....now Jerry just has to get it running ......

Perri ( coastcat) found out the name for me ...but I can't remember it ....will get back to you about it

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep that's it .....and you gotta admit, that's a big ole blow up of that watch .....so it must be in pretty good condition to look that good and clean at that size.......it's kinda of a smallish watch ........

and does it look like a re-dial ? ...or do you think original ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Has anybody noticed how WASPy Hamilton model names have always been? The Neil, the Yorktown, the Bradford, the Parker, etc.

I wonder how a Hamilton Berkowitz would have sold in those days? Or a Hamilton Kozlowski or Siciliano or even a Hamilton O'Malley?

(Just random musings--meant to be humorous and not too ethnic....)

Happy New Year.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Has anybody noticed how WASPy Hamilton model names have always been? The Neil, the Yorktown, the Bradford, the Parker, etc.

I wonder how a Hamilton Berkowitz would have sold in those days? Or a Hamilton Kozlowski or Siciliano or even a Hamilton O'Malley?

(Just random musings--meant to be humorous and not too ethnic....)

Happy New Year.
....all manufactured in New England so guess they went with the theme.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Actually, Pennsylvania is not in New England, which comprises the states north of New York. PA, NJ, NY, DE, and MD are the so-called "Mid-Atlantic" states. I'm a South Jersey native originally. Lancaster is about an hour and a half due west of where I grew up.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Actually, Lancaster PA is Amish country. Our friends outside the US could watch the Harrison Ford movie, "Witness" to get a flavor. New England is a little further north.

If Hamilton was true to it's Lancaster roots they'd be right up Markus's alley with names like Abel, Aldagar, Lukas and Paul, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Hmmm... how about the most popular Amish first names:

Abram, Atlee, Harley, Isaac, Jacob, John, Lacern, Leroy, Mark, Melvin, Mervin, Samuel, Wayne, and Willis.

Nope, I think they were importing names to Lancaster! :lol:

R

PS: I think Stoltzfus, Lapp, Zook, Glick, Eby, King, Fisher, Miller, and Smucker are some of the more common Amish last names.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
.....My paternal grandfather was Amish ......where he met my Irish Catholic grandmother I don't know, but when he married her ........he was "read out of meeting " .....

During WW2, my dad was back east .....I believe it was Pennsylvania.....he went to look up family members.....and one flirtatious young Amish miss, looking through her eyelashes up at hikm ....( everyone had to look up at him ....he was 6'4") asked ......."Is thee coming to meeting ?" ... "Nope, been to Mass already this morning" .....Daddy shocked her with his reply.........

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I've always wondered where the Amish draw the line on technology. They will use a buggy but not a car. Can they wear a watch...and if they do, does it have to be a manual wind?:confused1:

·
Banned
219 Posts
New England consists of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island (GO SOX!). If any Amish are wearing mechanical watches it better be from Lancaster PA.
(P.S. Let's go Bruins)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, it's hardly just Hamilton glossing up their products with names reminiscent of New England blue bloods. I love driving past new housing developments to check out the names for the overall development, the streets, and the model houses. I like to do my academic reading at Starbucks (fewer distractions than at home), and one of my regular spots is part of an under-development community called Shipley's Grant. On Logan's Way or Edward Hill Road you can purchase the Adams, Cooper, Livingston, or Eaton models of single-family homes. Like just about every housing development around here, the homes are fake-colonial in style. Oy.

At least my neighborhood is mostly Irish names!

(slightly ironic note: I actually am a descendent of New England blue bloods, maybe I need to move to Shipley's Grant...)

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
(slightly ironic note: I actually am a descendent of New England blue bloods, maybe I need to move to Shipley's Grant...)
Having reread a couple of Nelson Demille's books over the past two weeks (Plum Island, Gold Coast) I am right into the blue blood history of the NE US right now - well, Long Island anyway. It must have been amazing in its day. The Piping Rock Club gets several mentions in both books.

I was born in New England (crikey - hope I got it right this time! Lowell Mass. to be precise) so maybe we are related cat?? (Unlikely - my folks were just passing through....:biggrin:). Explains why I just HAD to grab the first Lowell that became available a couple of years ago! Wish I had a decent picture to do justice to this very handsome solid 14K model.

[URL="
[/URL]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts