WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was flipping through the channels last night when I saw ShopNBC's resident "cougar" hawking a Stuhrling turbelyon*.

Considering most of the Android/Stuhrling turbilens* go for $900 to $1200, the $595 price with 6 payments actually looked somewhat tempting.

Then, that brief moment of wanting was beat down.

A Chinese movement "finished" in Stuhrling's Swiss factories reminded me to the fact that for $600, I would get a Chinese made case, and a Chinese made movement that might have been stamped finished in Switzerland, at best.

For a hundred bucks, yeah, I might bite, but at that price once can find a nice brand name Swiss watch or one could save a bit more and get an even better watch.

Still though, it looks nice, has a sapphire crystal, seems to be nicely finished. It just isn't worth the asking price.

Anyway, the mesmerizing movement of the terbeyone* was resisted, at least for now :lol::biggrin::T

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
A few of the guys here have been trying those things. Personally I don't find them appealing, but it's not my money they're spending. Not a bad looking watch. I like the white textured dials with blue numerals - like the Bulova Accutron chronographs based on the 7750.

·
Super Moderator
16,903 Posts
I think that distinction would go to a watch with an Equation of Time indicator. Unless you're an astronomer (or have a sundial in the backyard) I doubt you'd care about the difference between real solar time and apparent solar time.
At least with a tourbillon you can watch the cage revolve once every minute- a true 3-dimensional second hand. The GyroTourbillon from Jaeger-LeCoultre is absolutely mesmerizing.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Actually as an owner of 2 of them, they're very much worth the price IMO. They're extremely well made, well designed, very well crafted and accurate as hell. While the movements are Chinese, they are finished by Stuhrling and assembled in their Swiss location. They have a genuine alligator strap (it itself is worth $150 or so) and are comfortable.

I realize there is a stigma many watch collectors put on a Chinese movement, as if all of them are just plastic junk or a blatant fake. I know because I used to be one of them. But there are a few Chinese movement companies that make a fine product at an excellent price-to-quality ratio, and if they were to relocate to Switzerland could market their movements for 100 times the price like the other 'big boys'. Seagul is one of those manufactures IMO.

But again, I realize a Chinese movement watch isn't for all watch enthusiasts, and that's fine. It leaves more of these for the rest of us.... :biggrin: But seriously, these watches, and that model in particular are VERY nice watches and I think you would have been very pleasantly surprised at what you got for $600.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Nowadays with manufacturing all over the world it is really hard to say where anything is really made. Although most feel the made in Swiss label is important it really doesn't mean that anymore.
Bottom line wear what you like....

·
Registered
37 Posts
With the Swatch group not selling movements to anyone other than their own and not knowing how this will affect Selitta, something is bound to happen that will cause the others who are too small to make their own to look elsewhere. With that in mind I read in one of the watch magazines where a Japanese company bought a movement company in Switzerland. Looks to me the Asians are coming to the rescue to those who need some assistance. In the future you will see these movements being installed in Swiss timepieces.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Long ago the Japanese left hand held work and modernized to robotic and mass machine techniques. That is what a Grand Seiko is. More and more it is what every watch is or will be. With quality materials and perfected states of tolerance and polish, what difference does it really make? It probably means it will last longer and be more accurate. That is why a modern car today - any car - is a hundred times better than a car made 30 years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.