WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Hamilton Khaki from an AD in my town. At first I was about to buy a Khaki King but I saw this Khaki Automatic, which was cleary an old model, with a great deal (40% off). Beyond the great price offer from the AD, I actually preferred the design of the old model than the King.

What do you think of my new Hammy? Do I need to worry about the production date of this model? The model number is H704550.

Watch Analog watch Silver Everyday carry Watch accessory

Reflex camera Digital camera Camera lens Camera accessory Watch

Watch Analog watch Everyday carry Clock Rectangle

Watch Hand Analog watch Arm Silver

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
It looks awesome. :thumbup:
If it's from a Hamilton Authorized Dealer, you have next to nothing to worry about. And what I mean by that is ...

If it really is NOS there's a good possibility the lubricants in the movement are starting to dry out (yes, watch oil DOES dry up!). Take it to a local watch repairman and have him check it out. It SHOULD be around or under $150 to have it re-oiled. If you take it back to the AD, he'll probably send it to Hamilton which will be a bit more expensive!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CometHunter.

The watch that I bought is under one-year warranty from the AD. Do you think it's better to use it without having it checked as far as there is no problem?

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
"New Old Stock" is the issue.
It doesn't matter how long ago you paid for it. It's how long has it been sitting in the store unused. If it's as old as you imply, you no longer have oily parts rubbing against each other. You have bare metal against bare metal. Sure it's running okay right now. But the potential is there for premature repair requirements. All the knowledgeable collectors will agree that a little preventative maintenance now is well worth a good 5 years peace knowing their watch is running just the way it should.
You can pay for a cleaning now, or run the risk of paying for a repair and cleaning 3 years from now. That's how I look at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.