WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm the owner of a brand spanking new GMT-II, I've been trying to figure out how to use the 2nd and 3rd timezone features. The instruction booklet that came with the watch is not very clear to me. Can anyone give understandable advice on how to use the moveable bezel and the relationship with the third hand? I just don't get it (think maybe it's just age?).

Kinda embarassing to ask, but it would be a shame to not use all the features of my new watch.

Saul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some help....

I did find some useful instructions on the following url:

Setting the Rolex GMT Master II

It's still a little confusing, but I think I'm beginning to get the gist of what the interaction of the hour hand, second hand, minute hand, bezel and the 3rd hand (24 hour hand) are supposed to be.

I'll take some time this weekend to try to fully understand the proper setting of the watch for home, 2nd timezone, and 3rd timezone.

Saul

Saul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, this is so cool!

I get it!!!!!

1. The watch itself is set to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), not local time.
2. The bezel is set to -6 hours from GMT (where I live is is minus six hours from Greenwich Mean Time in terms of timezone)
3. The extra pointer now points to the correct hour for my timezone (in 24 hour time, not 12 hour time).
4. Minutes and date are as on a conventional watch.

This is really cool. As I travel, I need only to set the bezel to the correct time zone difference, in hours, from Greenwich Mean Time.

This means that contrary to my earlier belief, the GMT-II watch is capable of reading out the correct time in any timezone, as long as you know what the difference from Greenwich Mean Time is where you are.

Now, to figure out what to do to reset the watch date for months that are less than 31 days, and how to reset the watch for Daylight Savings Time when it occurs in March.

Am I just "slow" or did you guys know this stuff all along???

Saul

Saul

·
Registered
119 Posts
That is the "absolute" correct way to use the watch, but if you don't travel often, it can be a bit confusing to use daily, at a quick glance to see what time it is. I leave my watch regular hands set to my local time, and if I travel (not often) I just set the bezel to the new time zone. If you were a pilot, you would use the watch daily as it should, but from your screen name, you are a doctor and I am guessing you work in the same time zone that you live in and travel ocasionally. Just my opinion. I like simple.
Enjoy it, great watch.
Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the "absolute" correct way to use the watch, but if you don't travel often, it can be a bit confusing to use daily, at a quick glance to see what time it is. I leave my watch regular hands set to my local time, and if I travel (not often) I just set the bezel to the new time zone. If you were a pilot, you would use the watch daily as it should, but from your screen name, you are a doctor and I am guessing you work in the same time zone that you live in and travel ocasionally. Just my opinion. I like simple.
Enjoy it, great watch.
Bob
Thanks, Bob....I do travel quite a lot, mainly international, but your point of using the regular hands set to local time when I'm home makes a lot of sense (I too like simplicity). It would not be too much trouble to reset the watch for any upcoming travel as needed..... and it would be a lot less confusing when at home and I wanted to just tell the time on a quick glance. Thanks for the advice and feedback.

Saul

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
This is not the correct way to use the GMT..(at least, not as it was originally designed)

GMT is just the name of the watch and not the name of the hand or what time you are supposed to set it at, just like the Submariner is not made for submarines..

To use the watch correctly, you set the 24 hr hand to your home time, and when you are home, the main dial also shows home time.. When you travel you "jump" the Mercedes to the new zone and it shows time as a normal watch while giving you a reference to home time on the bezel all the time.. If you want to see GMT time, or any other for that matter, you rotate the bezel to the offset from your home time... it will always be the same....always..

The article goes on to say "I don't know anyting about the original GMT".. That shows how valid the article is..

The original GMT had synced hands and were both set to and stayed on home time.... when you travelled you rotated the bezel to the new timezone thus keeping a reference on your watch dial to regulate your sleeping habits and avoid jet-lag, while being able to see the new zone on the bezel.

(you, of course, can use the watch any way you choose..)

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
This is not the correct way to use the GMT..(at least, not as it was originally designed)

GMT is just the name of the watch and not the name of the hand or what time you are supposed to set it at, just like the Submariner is not made for submarines..

To use the watch correctly, you set the 24 hr hand to your home time, and when you are home, the main dial also shows home time.. When you travel you "jump" the Mercedes to the new zone and it shows time as a normal watch while giving you a reference to home time on the bezel all the time.. If you want to see GMT time, or any other for that matter, you rotate the bezel to the offset from your home time... it will always be the same....always..

The article goes on to say "I don't know anyting about the original GMT".. That shows how valid the article is..

The original GMT had synced hands and were both set to and stayed on home time.... when you travelled you rotated the bezel to the new timezone thus keeping a reference on your watch dial to regulate your sleeping habits and avoid jet-lag, while being able to see the new zone on the bezel.

(you, of course, can use the watch any way you choose..)
As Larry says, there's certainly more than one way to "skin the cat" so to speak when using the GMT Master II. But I tend to use it as Larry suggests - the real beauty of the watch is, IMHO is the ability to move forward or backward between timezones without halting (hacking) the second hand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Larry/John

I see now what Larry and John have described regarding the use of the GMT-II. I agree that their description is very uncomplicated.

Thanks for setting me straight.....following your advice it is a very simple matter to move between timezones, without resetting the watch from "home" timezone. When I travel, all I need do is set the bezel to the + or - offset (in hours) from Greenwich Mean Time from my home timezone, and the "pointer" will indicate the correct hour in the new timezone (in 24 hour time).
What about when we go on Daylight Savings Time? When go on daylight savings time in the spring I would need to add +1 hour to the bezel setting, correct? ...... for all countries that use DST. Greenwich Mean Time does not reset for Daylight Savings Time, does it?

Saul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm delighted....

Thanks, Sheldon....

The more I learn about my new watch, the more impressed I am with the quality, functionality, and design characteristics that Rolex built into it. I have to admit that I purchased the watch on "looks" alone, not realizing how much I would value the other features of the timepiece. It's been a lot of fun learning the different ways to use the timezone features, and the easylink feature on the bracelet is just brilliant.

Incidently, this watch has become my daily wear watch....this isn't what I orginally planned. I bought a new YG day/date that was to be my daily watch, and thought I'd use the GMT only for weekends and other leisure activities.... the GMT is so "comfortable" and useful that I'm finding that that's the watch I put on every day. At this rate the day/date will remain a mint condition watch, which isn't so bad, especially to whomever inherits the watch.

Saul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts