WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every so often I look through the Ebay listings for Elgin pocket watches. Occasionally, sellers will list wristwatches there instead of in the ww category, plus I used to be a PW guy. Well, I saw this little guy, and I gave in to temptation...

I think the rose gold got to me! The dial's a little dark and crapped up, and the bow has lost all its gold fill, and it was listed as a nonrunner. But when I got it and gave the crown a spin, it started right up!

It's a 15j 546, 10s, dating from somewhere between 1940 and 1944 (Oh, how I miss the Elgin database!). At this time, Elgin had three levels of watch - Elgin, Elgin DeLuxe and Lord Elgin - and this was the most basic.

I overpaid for it, but then since it turned out to be running, maybe not as much as I'd feared. I'm actually looking forward to working on it - it's so BIG compared to the 15/0 watches I've been working on! Heck the barrel alone's probably almost as big as the whole 15/0 movement! I'll barely need a loupe! :lol:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Every so often I look through the Ebay listings for Elgin pocket watches. Occasionally, sellers will list wristwatches there instead of in the ww category, plus I used to be a PW guy. Well, I saw this little guy, and I gave in to temptation...

I think the rose gold got to me! The dial's a little dark and crapped up, and the bow has lost all its gold fill, and it was listed as a nonrunner. But when I got it and gave the crown a spin, it started right up!

It's a 15j 546, 10s, dating from somewhere between 1940 and 1944 (Oh, how I miss the Elgin database!). At this time, Elgin had three levels of watch - Elgin, Elgin DeLuxe and Lord Elgin - and this was the most basic.

I overpaid for it, but then since it turned out to be running, maybe not as much as I'd feared. I'm actually looking forward to working on it - it's so BIG compared to the 15/0 watches I've been working on! Heck the barrel alone's probably almost as big as the whole 15/0 movement! I'll barely need a loupe! :lol:
I fear that there is no resistance when it comes to watch temptation. Just go with it and enjoy. There are far worse vices.

Thanks

FJF

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other Temptations....

My other recent temptation is getting pairs of watches, like the Crusader in YGF/white dial and WGF/black dial. This weekend, I finished up the other half of another pair of watches. Last week I showed a WGF Parkton. Here's it's YGF mate:

It's also got a nice engraving on the back:

I love the way they did that, with different fonts, arrows, curlicues etc. It reminds me of P.T. Bridgeport, a character from Pogo

Here it is with its mate:

It's running a 670, the next step in the evolution of the 15/0 Lord Elgin after the 626 its partner has:

I really like the 670, for some reason. Maybe it's because the jewelling over 17 is more functional - capping the pallet and escape wheels, rather than just the escape and the upper 3rd and 4th wheel pivots. Mind you, it makes the job of reassembling it harder. There are 3 tiny, tiny screws that hold the cap jewel on the pallet bridge. I had to file down the sides of my 0.5mm screwdriver to fit!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
O LOVE that rose gold PW ......and the dial .....sooooo stylish and elegant ......and the narrow bezel .....( they are bezels when on PWs right ?) ......I seem to be drawn to round watches with narrow bezels .......don't know why ......kinda like art .....don't know why I like it , just do ....

hum close to babbling here .....

and oh boy oh boy oh boy ........a fellow fan of Pogo....years ago, when I lived in an apartment building with the smallest rooms Ihave ever seen ......go from the Living room to the bedroom and not even have to put a foot down in the bathroom which was in between those 2 ......and I am a mere 5'5" ....so my stride isn't all that long ......

anyway, it was the custom for someone moving out to leave behind stuff they didn't want ....and the rest of us scavengers would paw through the piles looking for anything useful or interesting .....( in my defense, I was all of 19 at the time ) ......

well this guy left a stack of Pogo comic books .....worth a small fortune today .....sigh.......and I was put off by his lettering ...too wordy ....until one day I had absolutely nothing to read and pulled out one of those books ......well, that did it ......I was hooked ......one of his biggest fans now ......

and I find myself getting very blank looks when I inform people in tones of great horror ....that Friday the 13th falls on a Wednesday this month .......

hum ....could this be one of the many reasons that people have been known to wonder if I am more than a little ....well, .....nuts ?

and you're right about that wonderful inscription on the back ....what a beauty ...you should add it to the "Inscription" thread .......there are soome beauties there too, and this one could hold it's head up proudly ......( if it had a head to hold up that is )

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wouldn't be Christmas without a rousing rendition of "Deck the Halls with Boston Charley". You know Walt Kelley's family is reprinting all his comic strips in a set of books. Search Amazon for the first volume. Joel

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not too many people these days know Pogo!

Yep, 'Boston Charlie' was one of the Christmas Carols we always sang around the tree on Christmas Eve when I was a kid.

"Albert! You is done swallowed the Frog Child!"

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And now I find myself obsessively checking Elgin PW listings for more 10s watches. I am beyond helping. :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
here's a nice little obscure one ........

who says "I carry the hose " ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts