WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new collector I have a few watches. I tend to stay away from the more modern watches (quartz, kinetic) and stick to the manual wind or automatics. I currently have an old Ellis, (apparently pre WWII) and Imperial Datomatic 25 jewel, an Omax (1960s Swiss auto) a Gruen auto, an Elgin from approx 1962-1966, a swiss made Davis, Swiss made Paul Peugeot in original box, 2 vintage Swiss Croton autos and 1 Croton quartz, an Armitron auto with Sea Gull movement, a Titoni made between 1961-1970, a 1979 Seiko 5, a new Seiko 5, and I have a Dugenia auto with the 1050 1461 movement and a Buren with a Buren Grand Prix movement coming. Been collecting a few months. Some watches were given to me, some came from thrift stores and some from ebay. I am not as young as I once was and am no longer physically able to make the money I once did. So I obtain watches I like. And I plan on getting them all worked on and kept in good shape to hand down to my kids. Watches are miniature machines, tiny pieces of art that you can wear or carry in your pocket. I have always loved timepieces, but never really thought of collecting them until recently

·
Super Moderator
16,557 Posts
Welcome to Watch Talk Forums. (We call it WTF....seriously!)
You sound like me in a few ways- lots of pre-1972 stuff, modest means, I'm not THAT far from retirement...
I recognize almost all your pieces, but only by name. I'm sure a lot of members would agree with me when I say that we'd love to see pictures of your collection.
And, of course, I welcome and encourage you to participate in our General Forum"s daily What R U Wearing thread.
If there's anything we can do to help, or any questions we can answer, feel free to jump right in. We're open 24/7. :wink:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, what can you tell me about the Dugena automatic 1050 movement. I cannot find much about Dugenia, nor their movements, other than at one time they were considered a good quality watch( supposedly)

·
Super Moderator
16,557 Posts
Yes, they were. You'd have more luck if you were researching in Germany instead of here. To this day Dugena is still a well- respected name in watches in Central and Western Europe, but relatively unknown here.
In 1917 the Alpina Deutsche Uhrmacher-Genossenschaft was formed in Berlin, Germany, and this evolved into Dugena. It looks to me like Dugena was created so that the BUREN Swiss watch could be exported mainly into Germany, Brazil, and the USA. They eventually disappeared but re-emerged in 1990 with Egana Watch Company as its new owner.

As for the 1050: This and all Dugena movements can be found at the Ranfft website.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
It looks to me like Dugena was created so that the BUREN Swiss watch could be exported mainly into Germany, Brazil, and the USA. They eventually disappeared but re-emerged in 1990 with Egana Watch Company as its new owner.
Wasn't Buren bought by Hamilton in the late 60's (during the calibre 11 development)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone! First time here. we were clearing out my Dads jewelry drawer and found some wonderfully interesting time pieces... one in particular is an Elgin Pocket watch. Serial number 9782560, but we couldn't find it in the list it stopped at 9600 (in 1902) then jumped higher. We are still trying to dig up the history from other family members, but if anyone has any idea about the date or value, it would be appreciated as we would like to pass it down to family. Thank You

·
Super Moderator
16,557 Posts
Well, hello right back at you, and welcome!
How about posting some pictures of your timepiece(s)? Right now we have no idea what we're working with. Elgin made lots of different p/w's and the standard mantra of collectors is Condition, Condition, Condition. If you can get us some good clear pics (400 X 400 seems to work out nicely) of the face, movement, and any stamping & engraving you see, that would help us immensely!
Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.