WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although the crystal on my '74 Accutron 2182 is in great shape, I thought it might be a practical and smart move to pick up a spare or two from the 'Bay. I see lots of crystals up for auction all the time and most of the time they go pretty cheap. I like to have spare parts of items that I think might need to be replaced in the future to maintain its condition.

So, the problem I'm seeing is the number on my caseback - 3253, doesn't seem to have any relationship to the replacement crystals I've seen offered. Apparently, this number isn't going to be on the package and I need some sort of manufacturer (no idea how many are out there) catalog to reference this number with the proper sized crystal.

Is this reference material out there on the 'net for general consumption?

Regards,
ArchieGoodwin
aka, Eric

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just realized that I already had a pdf of the Bulova ABC Accutron Crystal catalog I found on the net somewhere. Looked through it and to my dismay it doesn't have my case # style listed. Perhaps it's a catalog from earlier than my model watch ('74) or incomplete? If anyone needs access to the pdf I have let me know and I'll email it to you as an attached file. It's about 44 pages, and covers Bulova/Caravelle/Accutron models - armored, press, lift, snap and Accutron. Crystal #, metric measurement, and movement number are given for numbered cases. I believe I've found that there's a supplement that came out in '74 that may have the information that I need?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you accutron! I appreciate it. Are there several manufactureres of crystals, aftermarket and original equipment (Bulova manufactured)? The number above that you supplied will be applicable to any of them? Thanks again, Eric

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thank you accutron! I appreciate it. Are there several manufactureres of crystals, aftermarket and original equipment (Bulova manufactured)? The number above that you supplied will be applicable to any of them? Thanks again, Eric
That is the Accutron brand crystal number

·
Registered
64 Posts
Casker's has a lot of Accutron material, call them and give them the crystal number accutron gave you. If they don't have an original they can supply you with a generic crystal that will fit that case. I haven't seen your watch but from that crystal number I would say you would never tell the difference between an original or the generic.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blue92, thank you, and all who responded, for the information. I will look into Caskers as well. Looks like there's a place called Ofrei that's nearby to me also that I'll check out. I also found a place online called stsupplyonline or something like that that may fit the bill. I have a pic of my Accutron here at this initial post
http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/bulova-accutron-forum/63617.htm . Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Btw, might be a good time to go over crystal polishing for members who may not have seen threads on this topic.

It is often possible to polish an old crystal and bring it back to near new condition unless, of course, it has deep scratches. I use Plastx, a brand of plastic headlight cover polish. There are many other brand names of this type polish out there that should do the same. For light scuffs, a hand polish using micro fiber cloths for both application and polishing will usually do the job. Often, older crystals will develop a haze that is easily polished out, leaving a nice, clear view of the dial and hands. For crystals in worse condition, I have even used a cotton buffer wheel installed in my drill press. Even a cleaner like Mothers Aluminum Mag Wheel Polish will work on a crystal. I set the drill press at the slowest speed and go at the crystal.

Every old watch I buy gets a crystal and case polish. I use Plastx to polish SS and GP cases. Dont have any solid gold cases but it would work well on those, too. Plastx is a very fine polish and wont damage surfaces. It does a great job. On more heavily scratched SS cases, I use Mothers on the cotton buffer wheel on my drill press. You can restore a SS case to like new condition. I also use either of the two polishes on SS bands. No power buffing on GP cases and bands, though, as you might polish off the plating!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.