WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an old Rolex watch in the family and are interested in finding out more about it. The number on the inside of the case back is 24751, and the movement is 502. I would like to identify the model number and year the watch was made.

Can anyone suggest how I go about this? Its being serviced at the moment so no photos until returned. Its a gents watch presented to my wife's grandfather in the 60/70s.

John

·
Administrator
7,150 Posts
I'm not aware of a Rolex '502' movement and I'd want to see photos before commenting.

You can however check this site to help with dating the watch. IF I'm reading it correctly and the 24751 is the serial#, that site dates the watch to 1954 or so.

·
Administrator
7,150 Posts
From what I've read (and I am not a Rolex expert) Rolex serial numbers and systems have changed a few times since the 1920's. Initially they used a 5 digit ser# and that lasted up until about 1954 when they started using serial numbers beginning with 100,000. That continued until 1964 or so and because of the way they 'monkeyed' around during that 10 yr period, its sometimes hard to tell exactly when a Rolex was produced in this time frame. Beginning in late 1964 they switched to a 7 digit system which lasted until 1987 when they started adding letters ahead of the serial numbers but unfortunately they didn't use those letters in alphabetical order. Finally in 2009 they went to random serial numbers which makes it nearly impossible for the average joe to determine when the watch was produced.

As for Rolex placing the serial numbers between the case lugs, I haven't found any definitive information stating when they started doing that but I've asked this question elsewhere and I'll update this thread when i have an answer back.

·
Administrator
7,150 Posts
Can you post up a pic of the dial ? I'm still not recognizing that '502' movement

As for the question of when Rolex started placing their serial numbers between the case lugs, it appears the answer is 1927.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you post up a pic of the dial ? I'm still not recognizing that '502' movement

As for the question of when Rolex started placing their serial numbers between the case lugs, it appears the answer is 1927.
Thanks Mikey, the watch is still at service place, not an RSC as they quoted nearly 3 months to service it, I will take more photos when I pick it up. John

·
Administrator
7,150 Posts
I did (finally) get some info on that watch movement. Apparently it was an 'Aegler' movement that Rolex produced under various model numbers and that this one will probably date to right around 1950. As well as '502', that movement was also known as a '1200', '1210' and '1215' by the early 1950's. Aegler was a movement producer based in Bienne, Switzerland in the early 1900's. They became a supplier to both Rolex and Gruen in the late 1920's before Gruen stepped away in the mid 1930's and Aegler became a movement producer solely for Montres Rolex SA. The company was then renamed to Manufacture des Montres Rolex, Aegler SA

The 9ct gold watch case was made by D Shackman & Sons of London, England who regularly supplied gold cases to a number of the higher end watch brands in Europe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did (finally) get some info on that watch movement. Apparently it was an 'Aegler' movement that Rolex produced under various model numbers and that this one will probably date to right around 1950. As well as '502', that movement was also known as a '1200', '1210' and '1215' by the early 1950's. Aegler was a movement producer based in Bienne, Switzerland in the early 1900's. They became a supplier to both Rolex and Gruen in the late 1920's before Gruen stepped away in the mid 1930's and Aegler became a movement producer solely for Montres Rolex SA. The company was then renamed to Manufacture des Montres Rolex, Aegler SA

The 9ct gold watch case was made by D Shackman & Sons of London, England who regularly supplied gold cases to a number of the higher end watch brands in Europe.
Thanks Mikey,

That is great informtion. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts