WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all

Trying to date a new acquisition, and could use some help: Got a nice little Bulova Sea King that was advertised as made in the 60's.
SN is B97867.

Info that I could find from several places on the net lists SNs starting at A, skipping to L and forward. Came across a remark on a forum that U.S. made Bulovas might have had a different SN list.

Wondering if anyone can help shed some light? Curious about this one!

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Perhaps the movement will have a marker that will clue me in. Much obliged, although the "B" serial number is still a stumper!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
The serial number won't date the watch. There should also be a two digit notation on the back of the watch, a letter followed by a number. That is what will tell you the date of the watch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only...

"Bulova no. B97867

(Engraved inscription) which is not covering anything, that I can see

+

10kt RGP Case"

Appear in the watch case (back).

I think the B9 is the letter/number combo, but I can't find a chart that gives me any info that would include SNs or letter/number combos beginning with B...Drat!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
The letter and number that are in the serial number have nothing to do with the age of the watch. The serial # tells you virtually nothing.
If you can't find a two digit notation like M5 on the back of the case you'll have to open the watch to see if you can find anything like that on the movement. The two digit notation is usually at the bottom.
I have admired the Sea Kings a number of times and intend to get one some day.

·
Registered
120 Posts
How about posting a picture os the back?

If it's really a 1960s Bulova it has to have the alpha numeric two digit code. The same code will be present on the movement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts