WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a complete noob when it comes to mechanical watches. Being born in the late 60s, my beautiful new B16 is the first non-quartz watch I've ever owned. I've been wondering how often I should plan to check and adjust the time. I assume that for the first few days I'll be checking it quite often to see just how accurate it is. After that, I was wondering what you experienced pros do. Every few days? Once a week? Monthly? Daily? :confused1:

Thanks for your time and replies!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking I'll try once a week. That'll keep it pretty close. So far it's been about -4 seconds per day.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Every time I put it on! Can't stand a watch that doesn't have the right time on it. What's the point of that?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Depends on the watch as my B17 needs doing every 4-5 days as loses around 15 sec a day, however my SC B1 has been spot on ...... I do wind it every day so check.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was under the impression that it was a bad idea to hand wind an automatic watch every day. I don't remember where I read that.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I was under the impression that it was a bad idea to hand wind an automatic watch every day. I don't remember where I read that.
Total myth..

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
Can't stand watches that are running behind (I am OK if they gain a little).

If the watch is 1/2 min behind, my Mr.. OCD tells me to adjust it. He is a little more tolerant if the watch is gaining (1min before re-set) ...

·
Registered
845 Posts
If the mechanical watch runs slow I set it one minute ahead and wait for it to catch up; if the watch runs fast (which I prefer) I stop the watch until the second hand matches the current time.

Most of the time this averages about once a week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts