WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering. I am in the process of regulating my serviced Accutrons that still seem to be off more than the + or - 2 sec/day factory spec. Don't necessarily expect to get that close but I'll try. It is my feeling that many, if not most, of the watchmakers don't take the time to regulate these watches to factory specs. The ones I have purchased from and had serviced by the guy in Bulgaria have been very accurate but there is even variation among those. Two others serviced by a local watchmaker are not regulated quite as closely. The guy in Bulgaria regulates them to +2 secs/day and places them on an automatic watch winder to simulate wrist movement and the everyday shocks/bumps our watches are subjected to.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
About the only thing I do to my watches is change the batteries, everything else is to small and easy to lose and drives me nuts. I have two service guys to whom I send Accutrons and I don't hack them or check them for accuracy but the only time I touch them is to change the date or for daylight saving time. It doesn't bother me if a watch is a minute off.
The exception has been a watch with a 230 movement. It is inconsistent and is going to be sent back for another try.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My guy is really good, but I do try to use the regulators to get the accuracy as close as possible.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
OK, I'm ready to try tweaking a 230 movement that runs fast. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OK, I'm ready to try tweaking a 230 movement that runs fast. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?
Haven't done a 230 yet. I have one ladies SS 230 running well and a men's 100th Anniv. 230 also running well. Two more go to Bulgaria for service later this month. Just bought another one cheap that I suspect is a 230 in a GP cushion case but haven't received it.

According to my Bulova 230 service manual, they are a little different than the other calibers but perhaps easier since the regulators lie flat on top of each tuning fork cup. Here is a quote from the manual: "The accuracy of the tuning fork Accutron Series 230 is such that a correction of more than 2 minutes per week usually requires a repair and not regulation. The regulators are moved to correct the error. The range of both regulators is a total of 32 seconds per day. Moving one regulator one graduation is equal to a correction of 4 seconds per day." A "graduation" would be one notch or mark on the tuning fork cup. Just like a 214, etc, moving the regulators toward the outside of the watch slows the watch while moving them toward the center of the watch speeds up the watch. It is the inner widened portion of the regulator that is moved away from or toward the center of the movement. Sounds pretty simple and should be easier to see than the other calibers with regulators on the ends of the tuning forks. Bulova recommended that you keep track of gain/loss for one month then adjust as per average daily gain/loss. Let me know how it goes.

Since none of my Accutrons are worn daily now, I calibrate for a fixed position in my display case. Probably a little easier to regulate since they are not subject to bumps and daily variations in position. I expect the least accuracy from my 221 movement watches but I do expect better accuracy from my 230s.

A Ladies GP 230 I bought from my Bulgarian watchmaker came calibrated about as accurate as one of my Accuquartz watches! It was a nice watch but I sold it, replacing it with one of exactly the same case design but in SS and with a beautiful blue tone dial. My wife already has a 230 in a gold case I gave her in 1974. I am becoming partial to SS cases as they are easier and cheaper - unless really beat up - to put in like-new condition. I only have two cases that need restoration and they are both GP with the softer base metal. A few of my watches are in NOS condition and the rest are between excellent to near-mint condition.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Thanks for the information. I guess I have to send them in. I have two of them, one man's and one lady's, and they both run fast over 5 minutes per day. I have never had a non 230 movement be that far off.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information. I guess I have to send them in. I have two of them, one man's and one lady's, and they both run fast over 5 minutes per day. I have never had a non 230 movement be that far off.
I would eyeball the position(s) of the regulators first and perhaps give it a try. It can't hurt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts