WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have yet to get my M50, Fathers day!! Anyway I was reading again that the glow will last for up to 24 hours. How long does it need to be exposed to light for that to happen? I have painted some Halloween Glow in the Dark paint on the front sight of a Pistol I have to brighten it up in low light conditions. It works okay going from a lit room to dark but the longer its in the light the brighter and longer it last. So after reading what I found on the MVD Technology® luminous I didn't see where it got its "charge from" and how long it needs to charge.

Also with "Trijicon" night sights the Yellow Luminescent last longer then Orange (which is the color of the M50) is that true with LT watches? They have such a huge selection too.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hey I have yet to get my M50, Fathers day!! Anyway I was reading again that the glow will last for up to 24 hours. How long does it need to be exposed to light for that to happen? I have painted some Halloween Glow in the Dark paint on the front sight of a Pistol I have to brighten it up in low light conditions. It works okay going from a lit room to dark but the longer its in the light the brighter and longer it last. So after reading what I found on the MVD Technology® luminous I didn't see where it got its "charge from" and how long it needs to charge.

Also with "Trijicon" night sights the Yellow Luminescent last longer then Orange (which is the color of the M50) is that true with LT watches? They have such a huge selection too.

Thanks in advance,
Congrats on the M50!

I'd warn against expecting the lume to glow for 24 hours - that'll only lead to disappointment because it's just not going to happen. Below is an inexact guideline written by Chris, the owner of Lum-Tec, for how to charge the lume for different results (it really is an inexact 'science' in and of itself). The reality is when you charge the lume up, it'll glow rather brightly for 10-15 minutes. Past that and you'll start to observe the glow decreasing. A more realistic expectation for the lume is that it'll be visible, albeit very faint, through the night. Even that expectation depends on various factors though, including but not limited to good enough eyesight, a proper charge, and watch model (amount of lume applied to the hands/indicies).

It is really a science in it's own but here is a quick reference of what we have found so far in our own testing:

Brightest lume = charge with a bright light or UV light long enough to charge all layers, about 60 seconds.

Longest lasting lume = charge with a normal light like a 60 watt bulb or sunlight for about 60 seconds.

It seems the brighter you charge it, the more excited it gets, and the faster it drains. If all layers are charged, it will glow the longest.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In my experience, (owner of a B16 and previous owner of a B15) you will be doing good to have 3 to 4 hours of readable lume following the charging reccomendations posted. I have never been able to achieve the "all night lume" that is highly spoken of on the forum. If your looking for something that is readable all night, you would be better suited staying with tritium.
This is not a bash, just my experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have B16 and a M49. The lume in both watches seems about the same in brightness and longevity. Direct sunlight for a few minutes seems to charge the lume wonderfully. If I go from bright sunlight into a dark house it lights it up. My work hours include about half sunlight and half darkness. I have yet to need to charge the lume, with a flashlight, during work. When I get home, I charge the lume with a flashlight and it's good to go till I wake up. For not being all day glow like tritium, it's **** nice. If you seek 24hrs of constant glow, you need tritium.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
With a quick charge from a small led flashlight in my nightstand my LT will be bright for 3-4 hours but still readable 6 -7 hours later in a dark room.... the darker the room the easier it is to read.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
It seems to me that lume brightness and readability is very subjective and depends a lot on your expectations as much as other factors such as ambient light when attempting to read as well as charging source and duration. If my LTs are givven a reasonable chance to charge up then I have no problem being able to read the time in a dark room all night. But if the watch is hidden by my cuff most of the time and so not really charged, and I try and read it in a room with some background light (full moon, light on in next room etc) then it can seem quite dull.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The lume is charged by UV light. If you use a poor source of UV, like a plain LED flashlight, it won't charge well. Sunlight is best (mostly because if you're in the sun, it's usually for an extended time). You can buy UV flashlights which charge it up real fast, but the glow tends to fade fast. With Lum-Tec, a good charge will last pretty much thru the night, but it'll be pretty dim by morning. A lot of the perception of "bright" is dependant on whether your eyes are used to the dark or not. Just some observations based on my experience, hope it helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.